Miscellaneous stuff

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not going to show a lot of good quality photos because one of the tour-takers Tom (Nelson?) is publishing a guide to Northeast native orchids next year.

Butterfly
P6181862.jpg

Large Round leaf orchid
P6181867.jpg

P6181869.jpg

Goodyeara pubescense colony
P6181874.jpg

Planthetera
P6181876.jpg

Some of the conditions we trek thru
P6181881.jpg

spiranthes luccida
P6181882.jpg

Bog candles (planthetera) I cant believe these are not commercially available; they grow in water and are highly scented!
P6181887.jpg

P6181890.jpg

Rose pogonia
P6181891.jpg

Sundews (drosera)
P6181897.jpg

The Queen.
P6181894.jpg

Thanx for looking.

Wow, what a great trip that must have been! Love the reginae...hope mine look like that someday!

Just for kicks, I tried to look up the butterfly in my book, but the closest I came was a White Admiral. Anyone know what kind it really is? (My book just covers Michigan butterflies.)

Bog candles (planthetera) I cant believe these are not commercially available; they grow in water and are highly scented!

I was reading a few months ago on a seed forum that bog candles are difficult to germinate in vitro, so that is probably slowing down their availability

nice pics at least what i've seen so far... with my dialup and safari, they are still loading :rolleyes:

Got my order, Fredclarkerea, from Ernie's Enlightened Orchids and another strange orchid! :p Thanks Ernie.
P6301980.jpg

P6301981.jpg

The plants that live on the oven.
P6301982.jpg

Some Aussie native orchids progress photos
P6291974.jpg

P6211906.jpg

My Pelexia
P6211902.jpg

Eventually I seem to get a problem with something killing my jewel orchids. :( I salvaged some and soaked them in a Physan solution before setting them up to root in water bottles. Anyone know what kills them from ther oots like this?
P6261971.jpg

P6261973.jpg

Nice plants Eric...

As for jewel orchids.. do you have them in sphagnum??? Maybe the roots get dehydrated?? (although I am aware of your watering habbit... :p). Perhaps it would be better to put them in a mixture of bark and peat 1:1, so that they do not dry out much between the waterings... Or maybe better ventilation could solve the problem..?

Generally there are some problems with the Ludisia of a couple of friends of mine, but it seems that the problem is on the stems, which get rotten. I really have no idea what is going on.. :(

Good luck!

My order of species from Perufloa came in so I was busy thru the night potting up plants.
P7021983.jpg

P7031995.jpg

I had lots of problems with some Aussie native in soil mix , Ala 'Bones' or 'CSI' I sifted thru the soils and rescued some bulbs.
P7031998.jpg

P7031999.jpg

Some other Aussie natives in a [better] bark type mix.
P7032001.jpg

Paph Delophylum from Ernie's Enlightened Orchids
P7032012.jpg

Proof that my "put in baggie so Eric doesn't water during rest period" method works, a Habenaria dentata starting.
P7031997.jpg

Snacks: a funky chicken and her eggs! :p Dragon fruit and lychees
P7032010.jpg

Eric, your.collection.is.insane! :p The aussie natives in soil mix were too wet. The soil they use here is usually quite dry. Clayey but calcareous and I think the growers do not water very often.

Joanne, dragonfruit is eaten raw. slice it, peel it and eat it. Just like kiwifruit. Or you can cut it and scoop the pulp out with a spoon. :)

Latest posts

Back