Mexipedium xerophyticum 'Windy Hills' HCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AquaGem

Mexipedium xerophyticum 'Oaxaca' CBR/AOS

4.jpg

I am at the stage where I don't expect any flowers from some of the plants i grow. If they flower, it's a bonus for me. As long as they are healthy, they will eventually bloom for me. This species is one of those.. hahaha.

Neat. I love this little dude.

Might be one to try "in the yard" here- has really good temp tolerance, right???

Neat. I love this little dude.

Might be one to try "in the yard" here- has really good temp tolerance, right???

It can take the high end temps pretty well, not sure of its cold tolerance. And fairly bright conditions.

You might consider piling up a bunch of rocks and mulch and trying it on that. It likes lots of water, but with tons of drainage.

I know a few people who tried to grow them in the warmer areas of Thailand. The apparently struggled. That might be due to not enough temperature variation though.

Brett

A great species, but I love the oddballs. With regard to temperature, watering, etc. I found out the hard way that you should never keep these guys "dry" regardless of what the name says. This year I planted mine in a mix of sand and charcoal (I can't remember who I got this idea from - remind me please) and I kept it positively WET in summer and now in winter I keep it evenly moist. It has grown and grown and grown like a fool since then.

The temperature range it has flourished in (not just survived) has been large - from 5 C to 35C+ (low 40's to high 90's F). Perhaps it does need greater variation of temperature than a truly tropical place can give, as Brett suggests. Any tropical growers out there?

A great species, but I love the oddballs. With regard to temperature, watering, etc. I found out the hard way that you should never keep these guys "dry" regardless of what the name says. This year I planted mine in a mix of sand and charcoal (I can't remember who I got this idea from - remind me please) and I kept it positively WET in summer and now in winter I keep it evenly moist. It has grown and grown and grown like a fool since then.

The temperature range it has flourished in (not just survived) has been large - from 5 C to 35C+ (low 40's to high 90's F). Perhaps it does need greater variation of temperature than a truly tropical place can give, as Brett suggests. Any tropical growers out there?

I grow mine in a Greenhouse with quite a high temperature range between day and night. Before that, they were grown outdoors here in Singapore under shade and were doing very well. I think the key factor is to keep them quite wet in well drain mix and good air circulation. I remember visiting Terry Root many years ago and he grows his in a dark corner of his Greenhouse and they were all in bulb pan with at least 15 growths and multiple spikes.. quite a sight.

Latest posts

Back