Meet Cattleya Charlie Marcotte

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
I have just received confirmation from the RHS that my first ever Cattleya hybrid has been registered. It's called: Cattleya Charlie Marcotte, named after my best buddy and loyal companion, Charlie, my Border Collie cross dog.

The parents of Cattleya Charlie Marcotte are:

Cattleya walkeriana v. coerulea 'Chouju' JC/AOS
x
Cattleya lawrenceana v. Tipo 'Moti Porat'

I made the cross in May, 2010. The capsule was harvested in March, 2011 and the seedlings were deflasked in March, 2012. First bloom was this past September 10, 2016; 4 1/2 years from deflasking.

The plant is growing in a 2" clay pot and the foliage is 5 1/2" tall from the rhizome to the top of the leaf. The flower has a vertical spread of 4 1/4" and a horizontal spread of 4 1/4". There is a fairly strong fragrance similar to the walkeriana parent.

37060.jpg

Thanks everybody!

Yes, I was shocked to find out that this cross had not yet been registered. Both species have been in cultivation for a long time. Plus, it isn't something odd and obscure, either. It's a really nice cross.....a very desireable blend of both parents. Although, lawrenceana is not a big plant, it's still a lot taller than walkeriana. However, this hybrid plant is very small and fairly stout, like walkeriana. The bloom is huge, compared to the plant and pot. It's larger than the walkeriana parent and easilly as large as the lawrenceana parent. Plus, while lawrenceana can be VERY delicate and fragile, as if it were made of damp tissue paper, this hybrid took on more of the walkeriana substance; giving it some stiffness, making it able to withstand a breeze and being hit by a shower of water, without completely collapsing, like lawrenceana will do, so easily.

Although, I never noticed much fragrance from lawrenceana, this hybrid has got a good fragrance. It's very reminicent of the walkeriana parent; but, not quite as strong, which is okay by me. I was once held captive for 5 hours in my van with the walkeriana mother plant while on my way to a show. The fragrance was so overpowering that I had to crack the windows to be able to breathe! This hybrid has a delicious, gentle, sweet fragrance that wafts around and catches you by surprise. It does not hit you in the face, like an assault, as soon as you enter the room. My nose catches a whiff now and then, with breakes in-between, which is very pleasant.

Last edited:
Very well done John! This really is a hybrid to be proud of! Very well chosen parents too. Parents and child - a wonderful first class family! Congrats!

Congrats! That is a very nice outcome, beautiful flower! Did you let Charlie smell his flower? :)

Latest posts

Back