Medicinal orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not against using plants of any kind for medical use, but we see quite a lot of illegal collection for the trade still. I hope farming will overcome this.

I agree Hien, logging, illegal or legal is a huge problem in SE Asia. So much of Indonesia and Malaysia is oil palm now and thats all you can see for miles. All the forests are gone in many places.

What biodiversity, new medicines and wonders have been lost. Well, we will never know. It just seems the wealthy companies who drive foresty care not for anything but their wallets. I wonder when they worlds climate is devastated will they cry for their children?

The government in Australia is already making major funding for research in to climate driven refugee migration as a result of climate change. If they think its an issue worth worrying about, I am concerned.

Brett

There are about 20 dendrobium sp. which I found mentioned at the homepage of TianZi Biodiversity Research & Developement Centre, they are said to be powerful immune system boosters. Normally, the stems are used to prepare medicine, but there was also a dendrobium chrysotoxum flower tea mentioned .
My chrysotoxum was in bloom in april
dendrochrys1.jpg

for two weeks, I enjoyed the golden-yellow flowers,
dendrochrys2.jpg

then I cut them off and stored them in a dry, dark place for drying
dendrochrys3.jpg

I didn´t get too much material from the two spikes. This morning, I had my first cup of tea (infusion) I took 6 flowers and added 125ml of boiling water
dendrochrys4.jpg

It tasted like nearly nothing, but there was a very light sweet scent, that´s all.
I´m taking care for some other medicine dendros too, but they are to small to cut the stems yet.
Is there anyone around who is engaged in similar experiments?

Best regards from Munich, Gina

Did you feel your immune system boosted?? :poke: :p

Well I have not practised anything similar, because I did not have such flowering so far. Let's hope that from now on... But your beverage sounds interesting.. :D

I just realize that I have a few dry back bulbs that worth more than gold .
10 gram ( or 0.3 oz) for 85.00 US dollar.
Check your greenhouse & the back of your growing benches , guys.
Faster & better yield than mutual funds' investment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10G-Dendrobium-...trition_Natural_Therapies&hash=item415c2cd3a4

At least these things wouldn't lose a third of their values, while the funds' managers laughing all the way to the banks.

I just realize that I have a few dry back bulbs that worth more than gold .
10 gram ( or 0.3 oz) for 85.00 US dollar.
Check your greenhouse & the back of your growing benches , guys.
Faster & better yield than mutual funds' investment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10G-Dendrobium-...trition_Natural_Therapies&hash=item415c2cd3a4

At least these things wouldn't lose a third of their values, while the funds' managers laughing all the way to the banks.

:rollhappy: :rollhappy: Too bad I can't grow nobile.. Is crumenatum used in traditional medicine too? :p

We need to be consulting the herbalists in our various countries! Here in the San Francisco area there are many herbalists who are well respected worldwide. I'm going to do a little research! (as if I had the time, I remind myself...)

:rollhappy: :rollhappy: Too bad I can't grow nobile.. Is crumenatum used in traditional medicine too? :p

Yes, it is used in traditional medicine too. There are mentioned:

aphyllum, capillipes, cariniferum, christyanum, chrysanthum, chrysotoxum, crepidatum, crumenatum, crystallinum, devonianum, findlayanum, jenkinsii, nobile, officinale, pendulum (crassinode), primulinum, thyrsiflorum, wardianum.

Best regards, Gina

Yes, it is used in traditional medicine too. There are mentioned:

aphyllum, capillipes, cariniferum, christyanum, chrysanthum, chrysotoxum, crepidatum, crumenatum, crystallinum, devonianum, findlayanum, jenkinsii, nobile, officinale, pendulum (crassinode), primulinum, thyrsiflorum, wardianum.

Best regards, Gina

I read about aphyllum, capillipes, chrysanthum, chrysotosum, crystalinum, devonianum, nobile, officinale, primulinum, thyrsiflorum. But yet to know about the rest on your list.

Gina, could you give us sources, internet leads of information on medicinal usage of :
-cariniferum
-christianum
-crepidatum
-crumenatum
-findlayanum
-jenkinsii
-pendulum
-wardianum

Thanks

The best source - it is a summary of what exists, not a elaboration- of uses of orchids is : Lawler, ´Ethnobotany of the orchidaceae´ :
Orchid Biology, reviews and perspectives, III. p.27-149

Back