Mealybugs in seedling compot...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto. Funny you can't get relatively safe systemics but can get liquid nicotine ? Very careful with that

Elmer Nj

There is a big difference between nicotine concentrate and liquid nicotine, the latter is pure nicotine and the former is a 5.4% dilution of it in glycerol. I would never work with liquid nicotine and I'm not sure that you can buy it that easily. I think there may be some confusion going on here ?

Pure nicotine liquid is potentially fatal if enough is absorbed through the skin. Even then the actual toxic lethal dose is higher than is generally reported,
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3880486/
... and wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine_poisoning
The minimal lethal dose for adults is estimated at 500 - 1000 mg by ingestion.

I know a e-cig DIY'er who spilled the 54mg/ml concentrate over half of his forearm and claimed that he felt a slight nicotine rush before he washed it off. He was more upset about the wastage of his spilled concentrate than the danger of his clumsiness. This guy has a bravado attitude to using this stuff, and goes about things like a bull in a china shop. He also has children in the home, and for their sake I think he should stop using it, or least show a bit more respect for it's dangers. This stuff is nasty, lets be clear on this, but it is unlikely to kill you unless this is your aim. With children the danger is huge because they are very sensitive to it and have a habit of putting stuff in their mouths.
Aside from the toxicity of nicotine, it is a lot more unstable than a lot of the pesticides commonly used and so less likely to be enviromentally persistent. Yes, nicotine is a potent neurotoxin, but then so are quite a few other pesticides, some of which are actually stabilized derivatives of nicotine that are more enviromentally persistent. IMO many organophosphates are just as scary, if not more so than nicotine.

Personally I don't like working with the concentrate and always wear gloves, it's viscous and so it's easy to get misplaced drips when pipetting ... if you know this it's easy to avoid, so experience helps.

Latest posts

Back