Mealy Bugs (I think) - Please HELP!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all depends on if you like durian....its illegal to eat it in public in Singapore, and I've read that major hotels in Malaysia ban its open consumption, or at least disapprove of it. Its one of those acquired tastes. In my family, my oldest son and I love it.....the rest of my family abhors it and is horrified even by its mention. My niece summed up its flavor very well..."onion icecream!". If you've never tried it, its worth it...just for the experience. At least in NYC, its available in the Asian markets, frozen. rather than getting a whole one, which can easily weigh 10 lbs, the cleaned durian flesh costs about $3, and its no work. Then at least you can say that you tried it! Take care, Eric

Does it have a particular name or brand name?

I use Schultz Fungicide 3. It is clarified neem oil. I don't know why it is touted as a fungicide. I've heard it has anti-fungal properties, but I find it far more useful as an insecticide. I like it better than some of the other neem oils because it is clarified and therefore doesn't clump into chunks at lower temps.

Thanks to everyone's help, I am pleased to report that my plants are poised to make a successful recovery. Here's what I did:

1) Rubbing alcohol on a q-tip
2) Cleaned my growing space with bleach
2) Bayer Dual Action Rose and Flower Insect Killer
3) Repot

As a very novice grower, I was hardly prepared to identify let alone battle mealybugs. Now that I've worked through this, I'm a more confident grower. BTW it was also my first time repotting!

Chris

If you find them out on a leaf, it gives one great pleasure to smash the little bas...ds with your finger.

I'm glad this thread started back up. After treating through winter and early spring w/ Neem & Merit 75 combo solution I checked a couple of weeks ago and found colonies of mealies deep in dead leaves of 4-5 phrags. I recommend everyone go through their collection before it gets warm and they start to spread.
BTW-Neem does smell like shallots!

Hi Eric--What is the mechanism of spread of the pests after crushing one with a finger? Are they like the broomsticks in "Sorcerer's Apprentice?"

Jabbing the big ones with a toothpick is my favorite method of destruction, followed by alcohol swabbing of the little buggers. :D

Latest posts

Back