Mealy Bugs (I think) - Please HELP!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

:(I first noticed the problem when I saw the bottom leaf turning yellow, and when I peeled back the leaves to look in-between, I noticed a white substance that looked like toothpaste. There was a bug - I think it was a bug, it wasn't really moving around much - with white, hairy whiskers.

Please tell me if you agree with the diagnosis and recommendations for treating. I'm new at orchids, and I'm really scared. I need a lot of specific directions. I don't want to lose my plants. Please help me guys (and girls)!

I've included some pictures, but my camera struggled to really get a good close up.

I have about 15 paphs, but this is the only one I've seen a problem on (so far...) Do you recommend that I treat the others as well? Also, is it good advice to repot everything? Again, I'm really at a loss here. If it seems like I'm freaking out, it's because I am. But I know this in the long run will help boost my confidence. Thanks again!

I can't really see from the photo's, but from your description I know its mealies...welcome to the bane of paph growers. There are all kinds of remedies...ranging from really expensive (Enstar) to really cheap (isopropyl rubbing alcohol)...all work, but its a never ending battle. You just have to be vigilant...although I am never vigilant enough. The shorter acting the poison (isopropyl, pyrethrin) the more frequently you have to use it...but longer acting inseciticides can lull you into feeling safe about it...you still have to check..all the time. Take care, Eric

How close are the plants, growing together?
-I had plants put on different ends of the table, and the mealies actually crawled from one to the other (I saw them travelled across the table because it is a black surface)
-So you may have to treat all of them, then separate this plant from the rest.

Just keep hitting the spots with a Q-Tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Check every day. Keep at it for a few weeks. Eventually, you'll have it under control.

Do the roots get the treatment, too? Should I use rubbing alcohol [or other product] on the roots and the leaves while I am repotting?

Or do I just apply alcohol on the bugs and in-between the leaves and then wait a few days to repot and spray the roots with Physan like when I normally repot?

Yes, the plans are all growing in the same vicinity. Pots are essentially touching.

I can't really see in the photos but your description is very familiar. I would say you have mealy bugs. First I would isolate the plant from the others. Second get some Q-tips and alcohol. Dip the Q-tip in the alcohol and press it down in the base of the leaf. It will kill the varmints. Third check all your plants isolating and treating all that you find.

It is true that the mealy bugs will hide out in the medium. I never repotted mine. I just poured a little alcohol down in the pot around the plant.

A second solution is to get some systemic poison and spray the plants. It will be absorbed by the plant and will kill anything that eats on the plant. Mealy bugs are just one of the things you have to deal with in this hobby. I used Bayer Rose and Bloom in a spray bottle. It is a week solution (less that 1% of the “active ingredient” ) that you can used in an enclosed space. Still you want to follow all the precautions listed on the bottle. Just make sure you spray all the plants twice as they recommend. There are other products out there but most of them are pretty powerful and require a lot more in the way of precautions.

Also, if you type in mealy bugs in the search you will find many threads dealing with this problem and a lot of information for dealing with the critters.

Good luck

Yes, the plans are all growing in the same vicinity. Pots are essentially touching.
If the pots are touching as you describe, and if you have this particular plant w/ the other long enough, even if you don't see anything on other plants at this point, they may have been infected already.

First, take a few deep breaths ;) Mealies are tiresome buggers but don't panic just yet!

Personally I found that (as long as you have a small collection) the most effective way to get rid of these was to both remove any visible bugs manually using a Q tip soaked in alcohol (and keep checking for them constantly) as well as treating the plants with a course of systemic pesticide as instructed on the label.

Good luck!

Last night I selectively applied alcohol with a cotton q-tip to the affected areas. I will keep my eyes open for touch-ups and plan to repot everything along with a good spraying. Thanks so much for all of the helpful advice!

Follow-up: In the tray where I set my seedlings, this morning I noticed several dead bugs curled up in a ball.

Could this have been the source of the mealies, or is it a separate bug the alcohol also killed? Can anyone identify this critter?

I can only wish you good luck...:) I do not have any idea on how you can treat your plants, but I see that you got plenty of help...:D

Another method (yes, isopropyl, or rubbing alcohol) is a 60% solution in a spray bottle. You can spray down into the joints and let the spray drip down into the roots. It evaporates pretty fast, but don't spray the plant in the sun. The only part of the plant that seems to be harmed by isopropyl alcohol is the flowers (and buds).

If the pots are touching as you describe, and if you have this particular plant w/ the other long enough, even if you don't see anything on other plants at this point, they may have been infected already.

... not necessarily, some paphs the mealies don't like as much as others. The most expensive complexes is what they like best!

I can't quite tell from your last pic, but that just looks like a sow bug or a centipede. Essentially harmless - at least compared to mealies!

welcome! in a small collection, it may be easier to try and get rid of them than with a big one. I would repot everything. either use new pots or get a water spray wand that you can hook up to a sink or if it's warm outdoors. Gently spray out every crevice in each plant after taking off any dead or dying leaf/root material. set the plants aside to dry, after a little while you'll probably see more white spots moving around; blast them again. do a few times and then use new potting material and pots or blast clean the pots as well. a key thing to do is to clean or change the tray or shelving that your plants are sitting in/on, and they can be cleaned with a household spray cleanser that will kill any crawlies that are moving around away from the plants. they are very good at moving around and hiding where there aren't any plants. if the trays and shelves can be blasted with water as well then that can be done instead of chemicals, just trying to eliminate a backup population of bugs. if you see tiny white cottony masses here and there near where your plants are, those are usually egg masses. a mix of mineral oil, a few drops of mild dish soap and water can be used for contact spraying of the bugs, provided that the plants won't be in bright light or extreme temps which can allow the mix to burn plants. this won't poison the bugs but can help to smother them. I think it is a few teaspoons of oil, a few drops of soap and a liter/quart of water, shaken periodically to keep the mix together (think salad dressing). using lukewarm water can help the oil mix into the water better.

after that, if you would like you can use a systemic insecticide, some come in granule form that can be applied to the top of the pot or drenched into the pot. mealybugs have that white, waxy material that often makes it tough for chemicals to get to their body which can keep them from being exposed to the insecticide.

when you get new plants, it may be a good idea to keep it isolated from your hopefully clean collection, repot and give it the same treatment of blasting and cleaning that you did with your other plants. even if you don't think there are any bugs it's a good practice to put plants into potting material that works in your collection, because mix that grows good plants in greenhouse conditions may not work well under lights or on a windowsill.

hope this helps, good luck!
charles

Back