Maumeneara Queen Adelia 'Kiilani'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue

evil genius
Reaction score
Maumeneara Queen Adelia = (Rhyncattleanthe Orange Nuggett x Bergmanara Sammie Evans)

Formerly known as Yamadaara Queen Adelia, but moved when some of the Cattleya became Guarianthe, some of the Brassavola became Rhyncholaelia, and the RHS began to recognize Encyclia as separate from Epidendrum. Or that's what I think would have happened. Maumeneara is an intergeneric consisting of Brassavola, Cattleya, Encyclia, Guarianthe, Laelia, and Rhyncholaelia.

Anyway, given the dominant Encyclia flower shape, I was expecting the flowers to be smaller than they are. N.S. is 2 1/4". It took a while for them all to open, and the plant is outside, so the older blooms have gotten a bit ratty. Recently repotted into lava rock; seems to like it. 4" pot.

I like it!

I love this one, but there seems to be something amiss with the registration of this hybrid. RHS does indeed list it as Maumeneara, with the component genera Brassavola, Cattleya, Encyclia, Guarianthe, Laelia, and Rhyncholaelia... But none of the species invovled in its ancestry are considered Laelia for registration. All the former Laelia species involved are Cattleya now - none are the Mexican true Laelia types.

Kirk—

Looked through this again. The cross is:

Rhyncattleanthe Orange Nuggett x Bergmanara Sammie Evans

The pod parent used to be a Blc., but is made of species now in Rhyncholaelia, Cattleya, and Guarianthe. The pollen parent = (Catyclia Envy x Brassavola fragrans), so that gives us Cattleya, Encyclia, and Brassavola. So, yeah—where's the Laelia?

My guess is that it's not the case that the RHS screwed this up, but that, instead, the listing of component genera that I supplied was wrong. I don't know of an official listing for intergeneric components, so I just pulled it from some website.

Latest posts

Back