Masdevallia Rein Sun 'Pyrgos'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No the numbers are quite strict in that regard. It has to average 80 to get 80.......I prefer your system now you've told me that......lol.

Congratulations Darren. I'm not a real fan of Masdevallia's normally but that is a beauty. So is the 79.9 score just pure chance or do you think the general acceptance amongst the judges was that this was a HCC quality plant? When you get a score like that is there room for the judges to manouevre if it is felt it is deserved of an AM award?

David

Congratulations Darren. I'm not a real fan of Masdevallia's normally but that is a beauty. So is the 79.9 score just pure chance or do you think the general acceptance amongst the judges was that this was a HCC quality plant? When you get a score like that is there room for the judges to manouevre if it is felt it is deserved of an AM award?

David

Hi David,

I think there is room to manouevre but the deciding vote came at the end by a senior judge who went with that score. He gave it 77 which magically ended up being 79.9 - if he had given it 78 it would have made it over the line. I think this happened on purpose.

Out of the 6 judges who were rating for awards 1 gave it no award (the other 5 mostly gave it an AM) and I think that person had more influence verbally than should have been appropriate.

If the one judge who did not give an award say 74 points, (that is 5% below the final points), that person can be asked to reconsider his tally, if he refused then his point should have been eliminated, and a new count should be done. If that is the case then you should have passed the 80 points mark. The senior judge who gave 77 is well inside the 5%, so he can keep his point. But the other thing is I am sure that we are rounding up the points to 75 or 80.

Hi David,

I think there is room to manouevre but the deciding vote came at the end by a senior judge who went with that score. He gave it 77 which magically ended up being 79.9 - if he had given it 78 it would have made it over the line. I think this happened on purpose.

Out of the 6 judges who were rating for awards 1 gave it no award (the other 5 mostly gave it an AM) and I think that person had more influence verbally than should have been appropriate.

One advantage in our system in that respect is the quiet voting: no discussion prior to voting. This system may have other disadvantages, of course, like the lack of discussion :wink:
The chair can pull a "joker" vote to take influence if he thinks a result is not appropiate (too low).

Your plant is excellent and looks AM quality from here. Congrats to the award, anyway, and better luck next time!

Back