Masdevallia goliath

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bolero

To me this is a really special species, it's taken me 5 years to flower and as you can see it's a small plant. I had a lot of trouble growing it in coconut and have grown it in sphagnum moss before finally getting it to flower. The cultural information I can find indicates it should grow warmer than many other Masdevallias, maybe a minimum of 55C (although I've been growing it down to freezing). It has thick fleshy and low growing leaves that sort of hang. This is probably a species that might do better mounted but I don't have that kind of luxury. Initially the flower tried to grow downwards like a dracula but it was forced up by the side of the pot......interesting. It is also a very thick flower that has a lot of substance. I am not sure what else to tell you but it's one of the toughest things I've ever flowered and I am extremely proud of it. It's also an excellent flower for a seedling when I compare it to others. It is just a huge flower on a small plant.

DSCF1419.jpg

DSCF1422.jpg

Well done on flowering this one. This species does indeed require more warmth than most other masdevallias. Very nice one.

um, the minimum of 55c is a mistake, right?

It would do for minimum winter temperatures but temps in the 60s would be better in summer. Ayabacana has a similar flower and it requires warmer temps still. Masd, ayabacana can probably tolerate phalaenopsis temps. Personnally, I find it difficult to grow these. Easier for me to keep cold masdies than warm ones. :)

Michel

Back