Mark this date for Basket culture.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to hurt your feelings but this is starting to look like my kitchen! :poke:

Except, it's a greenhouse! Lol.

Rick, your Mex looks great! I have some long lost memory of Al, from Al's Orchids growing one in a large, like a foot in diameter, basket. When I saw yours in the picture I guess I was surprised it wasn't in one too!

Then again, if something is clearly working, why mess with it? (that's been our sentiment regarding the forum the last five years! And frankly, I suppose it's true for Eric's kitchen as well!) :)

Hey, that's not a costus! :p I never expected mexis to be so 'weedy'... How long have you had that one?

I got it from Ed M in 2004 I think (the record book ink is starting to fade:poke:)

If you look in the center of the growths you can see the original 4" pot that it came in.

Has anybody tried basket culture with live sphagnum moss?

I've been adding live moss of various kinds to most of the baskets. The phrags all had some going to start with in their old pots, so I transferred over whatever was growing. I also picked up a lot of local mosses, most of which are not sphagnum, but all are kicking in pretty good.

I have also moved all my paphs to baskets. They're potted in coco husk, orchid bark and minimal sphagnum. All are showing signs of growth. My delenatii has produced three new growths since being in a basket and one of the older unbloomed growths has started to grow leaves again after stopping for a while.

The second part of this program is restricting potassium so be judicial with your fertilizer since you are still using the CHC and bark.

Except, it's a greenhouse! Lol.

Rick, your Mex looks great! I have some long lost memory of Al, from Al's Orchids growing one in a large, like a foot in diameter, basket. When I saw yours in the picture I guess I was surprised it wasn't in one too!

Then again, if something is clearly working, why mess with it? (that's been our sentiment regarding the forum the last five years! And frankly, I suppose it's true for Eric's kitchen as well!) :)

Marylin got a CCE with hers that we both gawked at several years ago. It was in a 12" or so bonsai pot with a couple dozen blooming growths. You offered me a bonsai pot at the time, but I was trying to see how many aerial keikies I could get to bloom.:eek:

I don't want to hurt your feelings but this is starting to look like my kitchen! :poke:

:rollhappy:

I don't see any sangii cooking on the stove Eric:poke::poke::poke:

It's pretty scary how you can put up a new GH and within just a few months it's almost as crowded as it was in the old GH:sob:

I'm curious if the roots will dive back, stay airborne or wrap around the outside of the basket.
Do you think you may need a deeper/bigger pot next time?

PS
Congrats on the great root growth!
I love to see the roots in my air cone pots.
I've moved several paphs into net baskets.
One plant I got recently from a friend was completely rootless, I put it in a sphagnum, perlite, and primeagra mix.
The leaves are now turgid , so it looks like it may survive!

I'm curious if the roots will dive back, stay airborne or wrap around the outside of the basket.
Do you think you may need a deeper/bigger pot next time?

There's a couple of others that I didn't photograph. That little roth is the only thing that has a root sticking out that hasn't curled back in (it could be because it's basket sits close to another one with maybe a 1/2 inch between).

Don't know if I would be able to find a proportionately deeper basket (unless you stack a couple up). As far as generally bigger goes, I selected baskets that were already 2 or more times bigger than I would pot them in if they were standard closed pots (or even aircone pots). In the past I couldn't keep roots healthy on a 24" multi unless I had it in a 2-4" pot. So bumping them up to 6-10" baskets is quit a jump for these plants, and its pretty exciting to see them using the entire scope of the basket to send roots out.

Since the Bulbos, Catts, Phales, Dendros, Gongoras and just about anything else that I've been routinely sticking into baskets or mounting haven't had any problems with exposed roots, I'm confident that the paphs will be able to adapt to this too. I guess a few actually live with exposed roots on cliffs or trees anyway.

I had a sudden wind storm hit my plants outside and one of my phrag besseae was blown off it's shelf. So I re-potted it in sphagnum in a Kool Krate basket. These are (were) sold to store CDs but I never bought one for this purpose. The plant is a climber, hence the tree fern pole.

Besseae.jpg

I had a sudden wind storm hit my plants outside and one of my phrag besseae was blown off it's shelf. So I re-potted it in sphagnum in a Kool Krate basket. These are (were) sold to store CDs but I never bought one for this purpose. The plant is a climber, hence the tree fern pole.

I like it Shiva! I just picked up a besseae from Sam and it went right into a basket. Only one week in and a new root popping out of the side of the plant.

I'll be interested if this new besseae will do the climbing thing with moss and the different feeding regime.

Rick, Daryl from Kelly's Korner supplies (and my old society) was posting on facebook about how baskets aren't just for Vandas so I hope you don't mind I shared a link on our forum fb page. :)

Cool

What was Daryl putting in his baskets?

Latest posts

Back