MAHA 2012 - Stalls

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
MAHA = Malaysian Agricultural & Horticultural Exposition

Phal hybrids:
IMG_6035.jpg

IMG_6036.jpg

IMG_6038.jpg

IMG_6041.jpg

Variegated phals
IMG_6042.jpg

Bulbophyllum graveolens
IMG_6027.jpg

Some sad news... a lot of wild-collected orchids were openly sold at the stalls.

Wild-collected coelogyne
IMG_6025.jpg

Wild-collected dend anosmum
IMG_6023.jpg

Wild-collected phal and bulbos
IMG_6049.jpg

IMG_6048.jpg

The worst-affected were the paphs. mostly with measly root systems and unestablished. The buyers are going to be in for a shock, and the plants usually will decline. The majority will die if not purchased, as some of the sellers have NO experience growing paphs. The paphs were overpotted and some were half-buried (including leaves) in WET sphagnum moss.

Wild-collected callosum, sold bare-root without any media
IMG_6031.jpg

Wild-collected niveum
IMG_6044.jpg

Wild-collected niveum
IMG_6045.jpg

Wild-collected niveum
IMG_6046.jpg

Very cool pics!!!! So selling the collected ones is common!!?? (esp. the nivs don't look bad! Hopefully they find a pot to continue living!) Jean

I think it's sad to see all these wild collected orchids. The fact that most of them die / get thrown away is even worse. :(

I still understand why it happens though.

I think it's sad to see all these wild collected orchids. The fact that most of them die / get thrown away is even worse. :(

I still understand why it happens though.

Collecting and selling wild orchids is a means of livelihood to some people. the thing is that most of them do not have experience in growing (I mean, establishing the plants), so a large proportion either dies in transit or under the hands of an inexperienced customer. I don't understand why they bother collecting small (seedling-sized) specimens which they end up considering as 'runts' and throw them away (because the buyers are less likely to purchase them)..

Just for info, bulbophyllums and coelogynes are priced by number of pseudobulbs here. Paphs are also sold by the number of growths.

I don't know how to feel about this. I understand and sympathize with those trying to make a living, but I'm very concerned about the loss of orchids in the wild.

But it is quite a marketplace!

I think I have a similar phal as the first yelow-pinking ones and it is fragrant!!! :)

These are not times to get sad, but rather creative on how to solve problems... ;) Info speading is one sort of solution, so if people can pass some knowledge to others, problem can be solved. It needs some time, but since these people need something sustainable to live on, they should learn how to do it.

These are not times to get sad, but rather creative on how to solve problems... ;) Info speading is one sort of solution, so if people can pass some knowledge to others, problem can be solved. It needs some time, but since these people need something sustainable to live on, they should learn how to do it.

I agree... if the collectors were educated on systematic, sustainable collection, by only harvesting a limited number, the correct way of harvesting to ensure the plants survive, proper way of establishment to get a nice looking plant that fetches a higher price, I think that is better than just going into the jungle and picking every single paph, including seedlings...

Latest posts

Back