Phal. Princess Kaiulani 'Miki'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mutant

Reaction score
A little premiere bloomer! It's the third time it tried to flower, and finally the spike grew instead of stalling (like the previous times).

It's hard to capture the neon colours on this flower, but I'm calling it my Barbie-doll Phal for a reason.

It's very nice to have my Phals to cheer me up when I'm doing such a spectacular bad job with my Paphs. :p

It's fragrant, but I don't like the smell. It's not as nice as the fragrance of a violacea (it's a primary hybrid between violacea x amboinensis).

Here're some pics:

270580.orig.jpg

Failed profile picture of the flower:
270581.orig.jpg

The entire plant (noooo, it doesn't need to be repotted, it's all in your minds):
270582.orig.jpg

Thank you guys! I love hos stable it is in its pot... :p

A beautiful novelty phal. Love it.
The only novelty Phal I have. I'm considering a speciosa C#1 though, but it has a toothbrush masquerading as a lip, so I'm a bit uncertain about it.

How fantastic! I just love it!
Some of us have a knack with Paphs and some with Phals (not me!)

How fantastic! I just love it!
Some of us have a knack with Paphs and some with Phals (not me!)
I have a theory about that. I think it has to do with watering habits: if you are more of an eager waterer, then Paphs are probably doing better for you, and if you are more of a cheap waterer, then I think Phals are doing better for you. I think I have managed to achieve something unique by having most of my Phals like me, and water some of my Paphs to death. :rollhappy:

Thank you guys! I love hos stable it is in its pot... :p

The only novelty Phal I have. I'm considering a speciosa C#1 though, but it has a toothbrush masquerading as a lip, so I'm a bit uncertain about it.

You love kitties, Furry lips shouldn't be a bad trait!

You love kitties, Furry lips shouldn't be a bad trait!
Cats don't have furry lips... :poke:

Neon color is absolutely right. Does it shine in the dark??? I think it's
one of the most eye-catching color combos I've ever seen.
Almost. Let's just say that most people don't believe that a Phal can have this kind of intense colour. :rollhappy:

Second and last bud is now open! :D It's great to have this little Phal cheering me up now, when I'm busy coughing up my lungs... I hate having a cold!

270963.orig.jpg

Thanks for the opportunity to google who Princess Kaiulani was. I am a poor student of history. Luckily the information superhighway is my friend. From her wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaʻiulani :
"Seventy years ago, Christian America sent over Christian men and women to give religion and civilization to Hawaii. Today, three of the sons of those missionaries are at your capitol asking you to undo their father’s work. Who sent them? Who gave them the authority to break the Constitution which they swore they would uphold? Today, I, a poor weak girl with not one of my people with me and all these ‘Hawaiian’ statesmen against me, have strength to stand up for the rights of my people. Even now I can hear their wail in my heart and it gives me strength and courage and I am strong - strong in the faith of God, strong in the knowledge that I am right, strong in the strength of seventy million people who in this free land will hear my cry and will refuse to let their flag cover dishonor to mine!"

Thanks for the opportunity to google who Princess Kaiulani was. I am a poor student of history. Luckily the information superhighway is my friend. From her wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaʻiulani :
"Seventy years ago, Christian America sent over Christian men and women to give religion and civilization to Hawaii. Today, three of the sons of those missionaries are at your capitol asking you to undo their father’s work. Who sent them? Who gave them the authority to break the Constitution which they swore they would uphold? Today, I, a poor weak girl with not one of my people with me and all these ‘Hawaiian’ statesmen against me, have strength to stand up for the rights of my people. Even now I can hear their wail in my heart and it gives me strength and courage and I am strong - strong in the faith of God, strong in the knowledge that I am right, strong in the strength of seventy million people who in this free land will hear my cry and will refuse to let their flag cover dishonor to mine!"
Oh, I had no idea that there actually was a historical figure that this hybrid was named after, so thanks for the information. :D

Oh, I had no idea that there actually was a historical figure that this hybrid was named after, so thanks for the information. :D

Yeah it amazed me too. So I looked up Princess Mikasa to see if there was anything fun there too. Eh. Not so much. But hey. Its always amazing where orchids can take you.

Back