Lycaste deppei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

L I Jane

Just opened in the past couple of days-one more bud to open is hidden behind the 2nd flower on the left hand side.The others all opened at the same time.I love this plant.

Very nice, good color contrasts. Some deppei are mostly green.

@NYEric - for me most Lycaste, skinneri types and deciduous yellow ones, new growth and flower buds generally start all at about the same time. With the deciduous, the smaller flowers develop fast, so they are open well in advance of the new growth getting tall. The bigger the flower, the more time the bud takes to develop, the more likely the new growth will be larger.

Even more problematic, the ideal window for repotting Lycaste is after new growth starts, but before the new growth is taller than the previous year's psuedobulb. This means you sometime are repotting a plant that is in bud. Lycaste are like some of the Cattleya, one main flush of root growth per year. They need to be repotted before the new roots are out, or you will break root tips and then have to survive on last years roots until the next season. New roots emerge shortly after the new growth is taller than the previous year's psb.

But of course, in an emergency (dropped pot, etc) repot any time necessary. But the ideal window of time often is when there are flowers on the plant.

The Sudamerlycaste, (formerly Ida, formerly the 'fimbriata' group of Lycaste) these grow rather differently than the true Lycaste. Repot any time you feel like it. They seem to be in continuous, though not very rapid growth. They want less sun, more like for Paphs, rather than what the skinneri types want, which is Cattleya bright or even a touch brighter. (good air movement needed for this much sun)

Back