Looking for secret

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Light and temp, airflow, etc. were factors in the growth of plants in addition to the pH and ion factors.

Your welcome Eric.

Since it looks like light/temp/airflow are common to a lot of other easy to grow orchids, I kind of cut to the chase, and rule them out pretty early.

Sensitivity in the root zone looks to be significant so focused on those aspects and mainly to the possible parrallel to Cyp acule root zone issues.

That one seems to be worked out fairly well to not need a lot of help via the mychorizae for adult plants.

We haven't heard from Ron in CT in a long time or maybe Tom in Japan. They live more in the Cyp world and may have something up their sleeves.

I don't think selen. are so simple or else they would be easy to grow in controlled conditions. Just my humble opinion.

It's only fairly recently that anyone had multi-generational success with C. acule in controlled conditions. And it took a lot of trial and effort to get to where they are today. Everyone blamed the failures on mychorizae issues, and then it turned out to be pH and starvation rations.

But it's not uncommon that big chunks of the biological world are the same in many respects, and you don't always have to start over from scratch to solve problems.

By the way Ecuagenera sells these for $100 a plant. Compared to early kovachii prices that's pretty cheap. Are they just digging them up when they have a sale, or are they propagating completely ex situ? Anyone have contact with them for info?

It's only fairly recently that anyone had multi-generational success with C. acule in controlled conditions. And it took a lot of trial and effort to get to where they are today. Everyone blamed the failures on mychorizae issues, and then it turned out to be pH and starvation rations.

I dont know much about C. acule but if you go over to the terrestrial orchid forum, they have a whole section devoted to mycro. and there propagation.

I dont know much about C. acule but if you go over to the terrestrial orchid forum, they have a whole section devoted to mycro. and there propagation.

Sure, and I linked a paper on endangered species conservation program that looked a lot at the fungus. Especially for seed germination success.

There was some pretty good stuff in an Orchids article about using fungus mixed in a gelatin beads with orchid seed and then just letting them sprout in damp peat moss. Nothing sterile, no crazy media or nutrients.

It seemed like it could go either way (sterile/crazy media, or non sterile/no nutrients), but combining the two generally does not seem to be very successful.

Hello Rick!

I received EC/TDS meter.I measured my collected rain water, 56-58 ppm.
My question: what is optimal all TDS value for slippers and what is optimal ratio of elements ( N/P/K/CA/MG).

Many thanks: Istvan

Hello Rick!

I received EC/TDS meter.I measured my collected rain water, 56-58 ppm.
My question: what is optimal all TDS value for slippers and what is optimal ratio of elements ( N/P/K/CA/MG).

Many thanks: Istvan

I don't think there is a universal "optimal value" for all slippers.

I'll PM you.

Just got a fragment back from Gilberto at Ecuagenera

Dear Friend.

Related to the condition of Selenipedium.
Grows at an altitude of 600 m in damp red clay soil, Temperature: 20 to 30 degrees, Humidity 80 % light exposure high.

We are cultivating this outside under this conditions.

Best Regards.
Gilberto.

Aside from the red clay soil this much tells you, you should be able to grow it with your Vandas.

But I am pressing for more info on the soil conditions/feeding/watering...

Back