limp spike and bud fell off

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubyslippers

Reaction score
What would cause my Raisin Pie cross to produce a spike and bud and then turn limp? Today I barely touched the bud and it fell off. I understand drying up is due to not enough water, but it is in s/h and can't get too much water because of the drain hole.

I have phals, cattleyas, psychopsis encyclia, and cymbidium that are doing fine. My paphs and phrags don't do as well. Some are in s/h and some in a mixture from Birds Botanicals especially for paphs and phrags. I've looked closely and don't see any pests or disease.

Any thoughts?

This is a photo section.

That can happened by root rot over too much water as well.
Do you see root through pot? How long has it been in this set up? If it's rather new transit, then that might be most likely the reason.

Also, sometimes, buds just fail without apparent reasons.
I don't have that happen often, but did have a couple times.
Perfectly healthy and well-watered plants did that. So sometimes disappointments happen I guess.

Also, ripening fruit emitting ethylene gas can cause bud drop.
Place your apples and bananas away away from your flowering plants.

Also, virused plant can drop buds unexpectedly, but there is no telling of this without testing the plant.

Just throwing some possible common causes and ideas.

This is a photo section.

That can happened by root rot over too much water as well.
Do you see root through pot? How long has it been in this set up? If it's rather new transit, then that might be most likely the reason.

Also, sometimes, buds just fail without apparent reasons.
I don't have that happen often, but did have a couple times.
Perfectly healthy and well-watered plants did that. So sometimes disappointments happen I guess.

Also, ripening fruit emitting ethylene gas can cause bud drop.
Place your apples and bananas away away from your flowering plants.

Also, virused plant can drop buds unexpectedly, but there is no telling of this without testing the plant.

Just throwing some possible common causes and ideas.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was a photograph section. I will be more careful where starting my posts from now on, but is there a way to put this in the proper section?

If not water, you might consider big changes in culture such as higher or colder temps, changes in lighting, fertilizers, etc...

Don't forget bad luck. Sometimes fate can be fickle.

Just as we have all had plants do unexpectedly well, so too can the opposite occur. At least in my case it has.

The more you control your sourcing and culture, the less often this shall occur.

Oh, by the way, the occasional prayer to your favorite plant God doesn't hurt either (that and/or talking to your plants!

Latest posts

Back