Library

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my copy of Masdevallias: Gems of the Orchid World. I'd loan it to you, but it has been droooooooled all over (especially page 223!!)

To me it is! It's Anna Chai's Bella Donna 'Sung Sook' HCC CCM with 178 flowers, 27 buds on 205 inflorescences! I nearly pass out every time I look at it!

I'm surprised about that thinking how close your cllimate is to the climate of some of the cooler growers . I would think that w/ enough light and moisture masdies and draculas would grow w/ no problems. :confused:

I have to fill in the application to join the AOS student judging program and one of the questions is about my "Library"! :eek:
Beside Rebecca Nothern's book and Pridgeon's Illustrated Encyclopedia I honestly dont have many orchid books. I know I need to become more familiar with Catt/Dendrobium/and Phal hybrids [and complex paphs], can anyone recommend good current books or should I just buy and study AQ+?

I think that requirement's something they need to take a look at - in these days, there's so much MORE info available on the web than in most libraries, it's both unrealistic and counterintuitive to concentrate on paper sources. For species, take Jay's IOSPE, for example. He lists citations with the entries. Just one example. And he constantly updates it. Most of the 'encyclopedic' books have numerous major errors and all are woefully incomplete. As well, a printed source can't EVER update itself with new discoveries, taxonomic reassignments, and general taxonomic changes. It is as it was the day it was published. Forever. Digital sources therefore have more flexibility, and, increasingly, more relevance.

The RHS site used to be reliable for researching hybrid genealogies, but in the cattleya groups at least, once they started making up dozens of new hybrid generic names and foolishly reassigning plants willy-nilly to them based on a never-accepted recent classification scheme in the cattleya group, without any cross-reference to old names, it has become worse than useless.

Another point I have found a stumbling block is that to actually access the original descriptions of species, really the only way to be authoritative with them, one must be RICH and CONNECTED. These things are scattered around the globe in odd places subject to admission requirements (only accredited and befriended [P.C.] taxonomists allowed!) and unlikely to soon be digitized; these are old mags and journals of often limited distribution and duration. It takes money to fly to Berlin, London, Rio, and all the other places these things are scattered about. And time - no ordinary day job would allow for such a venture. So, given that 99.999999% of us will never have access to these things, digital sources - the web, AQ-, and Wildcatt seem to be the best options.

Thanx Tenis. I already use Jay's site and will subscribe there. I plan to get more books and magazines so that by next month i have a reasonable amount of paper resources. I will have to get AQ+, and I'll look into Wildcatt also.

As for contacts with taxonomists, I'll throw an idea out there for those of you interested in primary literature: find a local herbarium and donate some time to volunteering for them. Many herbaria have significant volunteer staff for many different assignments, some of them technical, and some not so much. Working in a herbarium and interacting with people there can sometimes get you the contacts you need to get scans of some primary source material. Of course, this is only of interest if you are really serious about finding original descriptions; I understand volunteerism is sometimes difficult especially in terms of time committments...I just figured I'd bring it up as a possibility.

A couple points:

Yes the information on the internet is numerous and can be frequently updated, but it is not reviewed. Judges do know the trustable sites for sure, so maybe list that you are aware of Jay's site, the monocot list, etc on your application.

As quaint as a "library" sounds, it shows ones dedication to orchidology and gives the judging center a perspective of your involvement in the hobby. Someone with a large library of non-general books, no matter how old or dated, would have a higher percentage of having the long term interest and dedication to the sport. to protect its investment in time to train you, a JC wants to have a good idea you'll stick it out to the end AND maintain your status for 20+ years. It's foolish for a center to admit potential dropouts, so lots of the screen is geared that way.

A couple points:

Yes the information on the internet is numerous and can be frequently updated, but it is not reviewed. Judges do know the trustable sites for sure, so maybe list that you are aware of Jay's site, the monocot list, etc on your application.

As quaint as a "library" sounds, it shows ones dedication to orchidology and gives the judging center a perspective of your involvement in the hobby. Someone with a large library of non-general books, no matter how old or dated, would have a higher percentage of having the long term interest and dedication to the sport. to protect its investment in time to train you, a JC wants to have a good idea you'll stick it out to the end AND maintain your status for 20+ years. It's foolish for a center to admit potential dropouts, so lots of the screen is geared that way.

Unfortunately, it seems a majority of the 'screening' at our local center seems geared more to personalities, likes, dislikes, and politics; very little emphasis seems to be given to anything as insignificant as qualifications, dedication, or staying power. Numerous students have dropped out because of this and others have been dropped simply based on personal dislikes.

I dont think our center would have that problem. Most of the Judges have known me for years from having worked at the GNYOS show for years. I might have to start looking a little more conservative though!

I had been away for a week, and took the occasion to have a second reading of Eric Hansen's (Imo) great book Orchid Fever! I really like the way he is able to point out some of the problems conc. international trade in orchids, and give some orchid history!!! I would not like to miss it in my small orchid library :)!!!! Jean

Latest posts

Back