Library

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
I have to fill in the application to join the AOS student judging program and one of the questions is about my "Library"! :eek:
Beside Rebecca Nothern's book and Pridgeon's Illustrated Encyclopedia I honestly dont have many orchid books. I know I need to become more familiar with Catt/Dendrobium/and Phal hybrids [and complex paphs], can anyone recommend good current books or should I just buy and study AQ+?

Eric
I have found most of my books on the 'Bargin Books' bin at all independent book stores...for a few dollars. Here are a few I have picked up over time that are worth while
Orchids for Dummies Steven Frowine $16.
The Practical Ency of Orchids Brian & Wilma Rittershausen $ 5.
The International Book of Orchids Francis Hunt $ 9.
Orchids For Everyone $ 4.95
A lot of the satelite book stores inside malls have the best deals
I am a book person so in my world one can not have enough
Good luck with your studies and application

Later
jim

Helps to have some non-general books. Like books on specific genera or taxonomy. Hawkes is a "bible" to lots of judges, but it is getting dated by the minute. Unfortunately, lots of these big monograps are very expensive and hard to find. Be sure to list Orchids mag and O Digest if you get them. What they're hoping to see is that you are well read and knowledgable on many different genera.

Honestly, the BEST way IMO to nudge into the system is to PARTICIPATE. Clerk at show ribbon judging. Set up displays. Sit in on judging. Car pool to events with judges. Go to society meetings. The better they know you and how sincere you are, the better chance you'll have of being accepted first app. In Chi, we had to be visible for at least six months before they'd even take an app. And don't just sit in the corner. Get involved. Get on teams with captins that will let you score and discuss (talk to the chair to hedge your bets). It also demonstrates your willingness and commitment to invest the time required. If someone shows up once or twice, they still go for the novelty. If you keep going six or twelve months straight, they have a better idea you won't drop out. If you do stuff and chip in, it'll count way more than the biggest library would.

Thanx, I have been clerking a few shows a year since 2000. I will have to go to the judgings more frequently, and maybe visit other centers also.

You should be consistent. Anyone can go once in a while. Judges are usually expected to go almost always. That's what will set you ahead of the casual observer.

Come to Winnipeg for our show in March! That will show dedication!

No crap! Where -40F certainly does equal -40C! I'll miss you guys! You have one helluva weekend!!! Prime rib & Yorkshite pudding, YUM! Still willing to come up if you need me to. Who does Lorne have picked out?

I'm not sure who we have off hand, but I think they are all Canadian. The weather is great in March, though. Nothing to worry about, right Ernie? :poke: Really wish you could gome back. Glad to hear you are willing, but it's just the cost...

You should be consistent. Anyone can go once in a while. Judges are usually expected to go almost always. That's what will set you ahead of the casual observer.

Maybe there's specific rules for every center, but I thought the Atlanta center had stipulations for student judge showing up to the center about 8 out of 12 months for their center judgings, and attending at least 3 or so shows per year. I may be off on the exact number, but it was more than I could commit to before retirement.:eek:

Atlanta and Cincinnati are the closest centers to me, and both 4 or so hours away. So it would make a big difference if I was in the same town.

Dont forget, Your "Books" can be electronic. There are lots of old books scanned into .PDF that are public domain and can count towards the size of your library. There used to be several good ones on slipperinfo.

hey, you can student judge our show next october! we usually have three judges from the nyc area who come up in addition to most of montreal, and student judges usually are brought along to get experience (and they love that we take them out to dinner the night they arrive... and that we let them buy wine!)

also consider that, if you were a member of a local society you would have access to books in their library and can sign them out/put those on your list

I have to fill in the application to join the AOS student judging program and one of the questions is about my "Library"! :eek:
Beside Rebecca Nothern's book and Pridgeon's Illustrated Encyclopedia I honestly dont have many orchid books. I know I need to become more familiar with Catt/Dendrobium/and Phal hybrids [and complex paphs], can anyone recommend good current books or should I just buy and study AQ+?

If you are joining the judging program as a student you *have* to buy AQ+ as a part of the program. As well as be a member in good standing in the AOS...

Don't forget back issues of any magazines count as a library, too.

Thanx all, I have to rush the applicaton because I will be able to do Deep Cut and SEPOS and Montreal shows within 3 months. I am waiting until the internet friendly version of AQ+ comes out before I buy it.

Eric, Try to get on a judging team with Howard Ginsberg. He is a great guy and knows his phals and catts.

I assume he's talking about Montreal. Howard is a character. You two should get along well.:poke: His business is http://www.bedfordorchids.com/

By the way, I was serious about you coming to our show. Unfortunately, ours is the same weekend as Montreal. Maybe next year?

Good luck with your judging career!

Wow, I'm starting to accumulate some good books and i recommend Botanica's Orchids! My collection is going to double after seeing all these new orchids! :drool:

Latest posts

Back