Laelia purpurata striata Jason’s Choice x Laelia purpurata schusteriana ’Equilab’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Well done! Four flowers on one spike is an achievement for first bloom.

The interesting is that the two forms created a roxo-violeta almost roxo-bispo lip color, with striata in petals. Perhaps a pic in sunlight can shed more true colors.

southernbelle

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score

The interesting is that the two forms created a roxo-violeta almost roxo-bispo lip color, with striata in petals. Perhaps a pic in sunlight can shed more true colors.
Thanks, Leslie! I’ll take a sunlight photo, but the light I use for photos is a natural daylight bulb. This photo is very true to its color.

Laelia purpurata striata 'Jason's Choice' x purpurata schusteriana 'Equilab'

terryros bloomed this first and it’s the photo on the OL website. Very similar, but his is even better I think!

terryros

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I knew you would grow it well, Deb. My plant of the cross has buds half way up the tall sheath. I don't know that my flower was better, but here it is from last time. I think it is a pretty nice mix of the two purpurata varieties in the cross.

IMG_1205.jpeg

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
Please, can you explain the meaning of the varietals?
Both terms describe the lip color. Roxo-violeta is more indigo purple while roxo-bispo is more red purple (like the robes of the bishop).

monocotman

Reaction score
That is excellent for a first bloom! I nearly plumped for a plant of this cross but in the end went for one of their shusteriana seedlings.
David

southernbelle

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score

Ok, Leslie here goes. First one had late afternoon filtered sun, second same time indirect. If you look at the Orchids Ltd website you will see photos of the parents one is very violeta. 326DC6AE-CD66-4CC3-9491-BEED5D13A1D0.jpeg49982B75-AEB9-4D0D-8E1C-D2BB4FFFE9EF.jpeg

NEslipper

Reaction score
Lovely! The deep lip and veining in the tube is so striking. Is it fragrant as well?

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for those great shots.

The color is definitely more roxo-bispo, with red undertones.

Terry’s flowers seems to have the exact coloration in lip, with slightly wider petals.