K-Lite smell

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never noticed it until I stuck my nose into the jar.

There's no chlorine residual and most of the salts are nitrate salts.

Have you ever smelled any of those before?

There is a faint smell coming from my bottle of Dyna-Gro, but it's not chlorine or ammonia. I haven't noticed any smell from K-Lite, either dry or in a concentrated liquid form, but then I haven't really stuck my nose in the jar. Could it be sulphur?

There is a faint smell coming from my bottle of Dyna-Gro, but it's not chlorine or ammonia. I haven't noticed any smell from K-Lite, either dry or in a concentrated liquid form, but then I haven't really stuck my nose in the jar. Could it be sulphur?

Sulfur is rotten egg smell.

This is more like the smell of oxidizers. Which is why I'm thinking the nitrate salts in general.

If the K-Lite is releasing ammonia, how will that change its composition over time? Or is the release too small to cause any significant change?

If the K-Lite is releasing ammonia, how will that change its composition over time? Or is the release too small to cause any significant change?

My old bottle of MSU smells like ammonia when I first open it up (but it ventilates fast too). But my old MSU also seems to want to pick up water and get clumpy more so than the K lite. The klite smells different to me. More like an oxidizing agent. I have to stick my nose in the bottle to notice too.

There's not much ammonia in either K lite or MSU to start with, it's pretty much an impurity of agricultural grade calcium nitrate. I can't imagine that you'd end up with a significant change in quality after aging concentrated dry powder for a long time. If it gets wet (in the case of MSU just from being opened in a humid air environment), then you may get more spontaneous decomposition of small amounts of chemical.

Not so much about the smell, but why does K-lite turn blue when exposed to humidity as soon as it is opened. I know that some companies add dye to fertilizers, which in my opinion is lame, but oh well. I transfer all my fertilizers to air tight containers after I open them, because I measure my concentrations with a scale as opposed to using a measuring cup.

The dye is pH sensitive. Fertilizer + moisture = acidic, so it turns blue.

If you smurf yourself, household ammonia makes it disappear.

Ray Barkalow
Sent using Tapatalk

They will put any color dye in it you want, so that if you sell two different formulas, they can easily be differentiated.

The dye is pH sensitive. Fertilizer + moisture = acidic, so it turns blue.

If you smurf yourself, household ammonia makes it disappear.

Ray Barkalow
Sent using Tapatalk

If ammonia bleaches the dye, then it can't be ammonia you are smelling.

Latest posts

Back