K-lite question

• Thread starter Eric Muehlbauer
  • Start date
Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Eric Muehlbauer

I just ordered a new container of K-lite from Ray (taking advantage of his plant sale too) because what remain of my original container is a disgusting shade of brown. My question is if it's still safe to use while I await the new batch. Is it harmful, or just discolored? Thanks.

It's the coloring agent that's unstable, not any of the active ingredients. The colorant is most likely Ultramarine Blue, an organic aluminum compound. It's no longer considered environmentally benign, and I wish companies would stop using it. I doubt that consuming aluminum is any better for plants than it is for us.

On top of its questionable safety, it breaks down in acidic and alkaline environments. So when any fertilizer gets damp, it becomes acidic, and the UM blue disappears.

I have inquired about the dyes used in the Greencare formulas, but I'm not sure about that, Alla.

If you get the blue dye on your hands, household ammonia makes it disappear, but I have not had luck with vinegar...

I spoke to the company that makes the dyes used by Greencare, and they are not metallic-based chemistry. and are the same as the "FD&C" chemicals, but without the added cost of certification.

Latest posts

Back