K-lite fertilizer

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, "the more the cheaper" is incorrect.

This stuff will have a delivered cost of "$X per pound" I will add my packaging cost, and that sets the pricing for the trial - plus shipping, of course.

Sorry Ray..... I assumed!

Hi Stone,

Where did you hear about the P. vietnamense ? I know a few people in Vietnam that import vietnamense from Taiwan due to the plants being very rare in Vietnam. I have bought vietnamense in Australia very much cheaper than they can be bought in Vietnam.

Regards, Mick

Hi Mick, sorry for the late reply but I just found your post.
The story about P. vietnamense came from Bob Wellenstein's site. He was recalling some information from an Averyanov lecture in 2003. I was also going from memory when I wrote that but looking back it turns out Averyanov was refering to P. delenatii and that based on his information from plant brokers, 9-10 metric tons were smuggled out after its initial dicovery.
He went on to say though, that P. vietnamense was already exterminated from where it was first dicovered and that he only found 2 seedlings left were there was once thousands.

I have been looking for vietnamense here for 2 years and so far I have not been able to find one although it is about here and there so hopefully it will be propagated here soon. I believe In Charm in Taiwan have it from time to time but the demand is still very high.

I look forward to aquiring this beautiful plant some time.
Where in Aust did you get your plants from and how are they going?

Regards

Mike.

Last edited:
Hi Mick, sorry for the late reply but I just found your post.
The story about P. vietnamense came from Bob Wellenstein's site. He was recalling some information from an Averyanov lecture in 2003. I was also going from memory when I wrote that but looking back it turns out Averyanov was refering to P. delenatii and that based on his information from plant brokers, 9-10 metric tons were smuggled out after its initial dicovery.
He went on to say though, that P. vietnamense was already exterminated from where it was first dicovered and that he only found 2 seedlings left were there was once thousands.

I have been looking for vietnamense here for 2 years and so far I have not been able to find one although it is about here and there so hopefully it will be propagated here soon. I believe In Charm in Taiwan have it from time to time but the demand is still very high.

I look forward to aquiring this beautiful plant some time.
Where in Aust did you get your plants from and how are they going?

Regards

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Huge numbers of vietnamense were collected shortly after being discovered and although I hear of a few plants or see a few recently collected plants occasionally, they are very scarce.

P vietnamense was discovered within 15kms of our house and my wife and I have spent hundreds of hours searching suitable habitat within the estimated 60km2 range of this species, finding plants on one occasion in the last 8 years. 60km2 is large area but suitable habitat in this area is limited.

Ivan's orchids was selling nice seedlings over the last couple of years at about $10-$12 and I have seen them listed on a couple of other Australian orchid sites recently.

I usually have plants in Australia to swap or give away but I'm down to a few dozen plants at the moment. I should have compots available next year.

I find vietnamense to be one of the hardiest of any species to grow but are not quick growers. Within the habitat area Summers are hot (often 36/38C) and wet, winters can be cold (often down to 4C with the odd frost) and very dry. Humidity can be very low during winter, it can be so dry that brush fires can be a problem.

Regards, Mick

Ezy-grow orchids in WA have vietnamense listed at the moment-
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ezi-gro/catalogue/paphiopedilums/phaphsCat10.htm

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Huge numbers of vietnamense were collected shortly after being discovered and although I hear of a few plants or see a few recently collected plants occasionally, they are very scarce.

P vietnamense was discovered within 15kms of our house and my wife and I have spent hundreds of hours searching suitable habitat within the estimated 60km2 range of this species, finding plants on one occasion in the last 8 years. 60km2 is large area but suitable habitat in this area is limited.

Ivan's orchids was selling nice seedlings over the last couple of years at about $10-$12 and I have seen them listed on a couple of other Australian orchid sites recently.

I usually have plants in Australia to swap or give away but I'm down to a few dozen plants at the moment. I should have compots available next year.

I find vietnamense to be one of the hardiest of any species to grow but are not quick growers. Within the habitat area Summers are hot (often 36/38C) and wet, winters can be cold (often down to 4C with the odd frost) and very dry. Humidity can be very low during winter, it can be so dry that brush fires can be a problem.

Regards, Mick

Ezy-grow orchids in WA have vietnamense listed at the moment-
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ezi-gro/catalogue/paphiopedilums/phaphsCat10.htm

Thanks Mick, Interesting habitat details! Thats the kind of information that helps me tremendously with growing. When you say you usually have plants in Aust or you will have compots next year, do you mean you bring them down from Vietnam or are you based here?
I contacted Easy Grow a while back, none left. I think that list is still from 2009!
Great to know you found some more samples in the wild. How can they be protected or are they already gone?

Mike

I usually return to Australia for 3-4 months each year and bring back a few flasks.

That small colony of vietnamense is long gone. I know the area very well but could'nt show you a truly wild population of vietnamense.

Some years ago some plants were reintroduced and are now protected. Last year the first pods were sighted on these plants so it looks like there is a chance of a colony establishing.

I'd recommend that you get some Paph Ho Chi Minh (vietnamense x delenatii) plants as you'll have a better chance of getting a nice flower with a longer bloom time. They turn up on eBay from time to time.

Mick

Just a final (I hope) "parting shot" on this thread...

My low well water pH (4.7 is typical) is neutralized by the injection of potassium carbonate solution.

Before going to RO water, I saw a lot of rots. Afterwards - with no change in fogging/misting, or watering habits - they more or less went away.

My low well water pH (4.7 is typical) is neutralized by the injection of potassium carbonate solution.

Before going to RO water, I saw a lot of rots. Afterwards - with no change in fogging/misting, or watering habits - they more or less went away.

Wow Ray thats pretty acidic water! What is making it so acid? have you had it tested?
Interestingly the Ph of rainwater running down the branches in Odontoglossum habitat in Ecuador was mesured at 4! I dont know what this means but it makes you wonder.
Are running the well water through RO system or mains water?

I didn't quite understand this at first, but if I'm getting this right, then before you switched to RO, you used your well water supplemented with a bit of K(carbonate) to irrigate with?

I've seen some crazy low well pH values usually coming off of granitic or sandstone systems. Often shallow wells too. In Pensylvania I think you have lots of granit geology around.

Latest posts

Back