Jolokia peppers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Eric Muehlbauer

These are the first of my jolokia harvest...these are supposedly the hottest peppers in existence...topping out at 750,000 to 1,000,000 Scoville units (habanero's are only 250-350,000 units...). The larger ones on the left are Bhuh Jolokias, the smaller ones on the right are Bih jolokias. Supposedly there is no difference in heat. We had a little tasting party last night...I cut one up just to sample. My son took the biggest piece...after a few seconds pause, the screaming began....followed by milk, rice, and Tums. I had a more conservative piece. Personally, I don't find it noticeably hotter than my habaneros, and it doesn't have that nice fruity taste. However, you certainly don't need a respirator just to cut it, as I had heard rumors of.....Take care, Eric

Guess I've been out of the pepper scene for a while since I haven't heard of these guys. I always liked the flavor of habenaros and mexican hats, guess I'll have to look up seeds for these guys.

Eric
Where do Jolokia peppers come from? What national cuisine are they a part of? Or are they a relatively new pepper developed just for insane heat?

Forget the milk, you need a chilled Kingfisher to go with that! I have Indian neighbors/friends and I KNOW they don't cook with these--we actually like our food spicier than they do, but they admit they're not "normal" in that regard. We're all into cooking and I have to tone down the things I make to share.

They do look a lot like habaneros, which I love. I once used far too many in my chimi filling and it was an experience I still get teased about. I think I get too excited about the colorful peppers like these because they're so pretty and then overdo it.

OK.........the jolokia is a type of pepper generally known as "naga". They are not a new variety. They were discovered in use in India (northern and eastern) and in Bangladesh. They made it to the Guinness book, topping out at over 1,000,000 Scovile units. When my oldest son read about them, he had to have them...despite my warnings about not even being able to deal with the habanero's i grow. He sent away for seeds (from England...theoretically, this may be illegal....but I'll take my risk on this as a jolokia is not a hangianum...and I think there are US sources...somewhere). Of course, he hasn't even tried one yet...it was my 2nd son who took the big piece...despite having been blistered by a habanero as a kid. Personally, I think its a fun thing to grow for the accomplishment, but in the end, its just a hot pepper. A very hot pepper. Habanero's and Caribbean red's have a great flavor despite their heat...which is why I use them in salsa's and guacamole. The jolokia is just hot. Supposedly its in the same group/"species" (frutescens), as habanero, but it clearly is a less fleshy, less fruity, less flavorful pepper. Probably good for drying. Eric- want seeds? I'll have plenty...but as they are open pollinated, I can't guarantee what will be produced..pollen parents could include jolokia's of both types, habanero, fish, sweet bell pepper, regular small skinny Asian types, or a "mystery" pepper that came with the jolokia's...yellow with purple blotches, ripening to orange then the usual red...Take care, Eric

Well I'll take some, he says in spite of having gotten a pepper from his chinese food stuck in his throat tonight and choking on it! :crazy:

OK! I finally cooked with one of these...I did a "thai-style" stir fry with shrimp, along with my home grown shallots, lemongrass, basil, kaffir lime, and of course...a jolokia. I used a smaller one..the "bih" type. I split it in half, removed the seeds, and put each half in the pan. After a few minutes, I removed one half...a few minutes later, I removed the other half. Well, it was hot! Not beyond my tolerance...in fact I was pleased that it was really hot, but just below my the level that would have been too much...didn't even break a sweat. But that is my tolerance level...let me tell you, these buggers are hot! Maybe I'll post the recipe on that thread...............Take care, Eric

Back