It's another Paph What Happened...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Barbara

Hey Gilda you’re not the only one. It seems that I have another Paph 'What Happened'. This is the second time this year that it's attempted to bloom and the flower is even larger this time, so I guess you could say that it has potential!

HPIM3321.jpg

It's called Paph. Cumumbah (callosum x St. Swithin). The grower told me that it's probably not mature enough yet, but with a leaf span of 26 inches a person would think that it would be. Guess it's going to be a very big plant, 'Cumumbah’ is right!

Uh oh... Don't tell me now that (barbata x multi) crosses are getting as freaky as (brachy x multi) crosses... :eek: Hope it will give you a second spike in time...

I've had good luck with a lot of barbata x multi crosses - Paph. Callo-Rothschildianum (callosum x rothschildianum), Paph. Shillianum (Gowerianum x rothschildianum), Paph. Wiertzianum (lawrenceanum x rothschildianum), and similar hybrids all seem to bloom reliably and magnificently.

BUT - what seems like it should be the most definitive barbata x multi cross, Paph. Tringiense (barbatum x rothschildianum) blooms exactly like the photo at the top of this thread 9 times out of 10 on a 20+ growth plant. It is beyond frustrating at this point. Now I just keep it around for laughs.

JUst pull put that flower and it's stem and the real spike might get unstuck. This is a natural thing and does tend to happen in barbata hybrids. The spike migh be a little crooked, but will hopefully pop up for you.

JUst pull put that flower and it's stem and the real spike might get unstuck. This is a natural thing and does tend to happen in barbata hybrids. The spike migh be a little crooked, but will hopefully pop up for you.

WHAT!!!??? ........
oh well, he has nothing to lose!

On another forum I visit they have a ugly Paph. contest if you were there you might get some satisfaction, just kidding.

I had two plants do the same thing. Delophyllum and Pink Bandit always bloomed normal for years but this time like yours. The only thing different was Merit sprays for scale when the buds where deep in the crowns.

Thanks Tadd, that’s good to know, I’ll keep that in mind when shopping for other crosses. I’ve actually had another multi-floral do the same thing and it sent up a real spike a month or so after I removed the deformed one. However, I did leave it alone for awhile before hand.

I think I know which contest that you’re referring too, maybe I’ll check that out!

Yep - you know the one! The one alot of us were banned from!
That was a fun thread!

Latest posts

Back