Itoh Peony 'Yumi'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdlsreno

Reaction score
My Itoh inter sectional (Herbaceous x Tree) hybrid peony flowered for the first time. I am so excited with its huge almost 8" flower and yellow color. That is my hand! Spring is here.

Ramon:)

5802414205_d2ca83000d_z.jpg

I've never heard of intersectional crosses between the two types of peonies before now. So what does the plant look like? I'm curious as to it's growth habit.

Here is a picture with out my hand and from the internet of the whole plant. The plant can be 2' x 3'.

Itoh Peony 'Yumi'
5806814562_a2cda7c980_z.jpg

IMG-20110517-00040.jpg

Very nice, Ramon. I have some Itoh peonies but I didn't know that one. A nice yellow with a beautiful shape. Looks somewhat like Bartzella. I didn't know peonies can be grown in Nevada. I thought they need cool winter to grow well.

nikv: they grow like herbaceous peonies but with a foliage that reminds tree peony (less shiny, coarser). They usally grow 2 to 3 ft tall (sometimes taller here) There are some buds above the soil level that can survive winter.... in theory but not here. Maybe in NV?

The plant does not multiply as quicky as a herbaceous peony. Difficult to divide I shoud say because the buds of the crown are so "tight"

Very nice, Ramon. I have some Itoh peonies but I didn't know that one. A nice yellow with a beautiful shape. Looks somewhat like Bartzella. I didn't know peonies can be grown in Nevada. I thought they need cool winter to grow well.

nikv: they grow like herbaceous peonies but with a foliage that reminds tree peony (less shiny, coarser). They usually grow 2 to 3 ft tall (sometimes taller here) There are some buds above the soil level that can survive winter.... in theory but not here. Maybe in NV?

The plant does not multiply as quicky as a herbaceous peony. Difficult to divide I shod say because the buds of the crown are so "tight"

They are mericlones and this is a new one by Smith. This is con color yellow. I have another one called 'Cora Louise' white with purple center.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I am able to grow a peony in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm in zone 9-B. About ten years ago, I planted a small collection of peonies. Only one plant has survived and actually thrived for me. It's an old variety called Festiva Maxima. This year, it had five flowers. The others have slowly faded away, but this one is going strong. I'm curious to know whether this variety would do well in my area. What do you all think?

My original photo disappeared. I am reposting it.

Itoh Peony 'Yumi' with my hand.

5802414205_375ff20118_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back