Interesting observation of sanderieanum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
Most people may already know about the "sugar" that forms on the upper rim of the pouch after the flowers have been open for some time. I've observe this on other Paphs as well. I believe it comes from microscopic raised areas or "pimples" as seen here on this close up pic of sanderieanum #1 as white specks.
sanderianumredbaroness1.jpg

Another observation is the morphological changes that occure during petal elongation. It maybe thought that the petal tips continue to grow as part of the maturing process but that's not true. The flower parts are intact and complete as the bud swells, expands and opens. It's just a matter of cell elongation that creates the long petals. Here in the pics of sanderieanum#2 you can see the intricate details of the petal folds.
p1050113s.jpg

And once they "fall out"
p1050105w.jpg

Now a close up of the tip. Notice the flat, somewhat hairy spoon shaped tip.
p1050117.jpg

again
p1050116p.jpg

After the flower fully matures the hairs seem to "expand" as seen here in sanderieanum#3
p1050127f.jpg

And a closeup, although somewhat of a fuzzy pic(hard to photograph a moving petal!) that's the point, very fuzzy petal tips and distorted.
p1050128t.jpg

That seems likely, since the petals would not have an apical meristem. The only way the could 'grow' is through the growth of individual cells.

whatever it takes, man
i've used pots, boxes, etc to raise long petaled stuff about the 'ground'

Believe me guys the petals are already below the styroform. The real problem with this blooming is the initial spike did not elongate enough past it's own pot! I was afraid the petals would get caught on the pot edge. I have the pot tip on edge to get the petals away from itself and the styroform is grippy, keeping two plastic pots from slipping on each other. I didn't want the plant falling over onto the floor.

Latest posts

Back