Insecticide resistance management by Mode of action

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've used TriStar on the poinsettias and Arabadopsis and it's been great
on orchids, i dunno
i think some people have used it on orchids but i'm not sure how it has worked for them
you're absolutely right about thrips and resistance
Conserve (spinosad) only has marginal effectiveness anymore and they suggest tank-mixing Avid with Azatin (i've also mixed with Aria or Talstar with mixed results, but again, not on orchids)
BotaniGard is my new favorite because of how it kills the little s.o.b.s
it is a parasitic fungus that will burrow inside (once it contacts the exoskeleton), replicate, then bursts out like the movie Alien
it may have some issues with open blooms, though

Hi, here I have extremly high resistance with Diapsis boisduvalii. They are even resistant too 90° alcohol !!
Imidaclopride: 0
Actara G: 0
Fipronil: 0
Acetamipride: 0
I only can destroy them by mecanical ways.
I have to try neem oil, do you know about it?
If some of you know about one product they wouldn't be resistant, please tell me ...

Hi, here I have extremly high resistance with Diapsis boisduvalii. They are even resistant too 90° alcohol !!
Imidaclopride: 0
Actara G: 0
Fipronil: 0
Acetamipride: 0
I only can destroy them by mecanical ways.
I have to try neem oil, do you know about it?
If some of you know about one product they wouldn't be resistant, please tell me ...

i believe Imidaccloprid, Acatara, and Acetamiprid are all in the same class (neonicotinoids) and they should not be used in the same rotation. the same class means that the pesticide kills the pest with the same mode of action (there are charts previously in the conversation) and, if used one after another, if the pest develops a resistance, it will be ineffective
in my opinion, you should move away from the whole neonicotinoids for now and find three different pesticides with three different modes of action or classes.
use them as instructed on the label, including waiting the specified amount of time before the next spray

link to mode of action pamphlet: http://www.irac-online.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/MoA_Classification.pdf

how about any of the newer generation neonicotinoids such as Safari (Dinotefuran) or Tristar (Acetamiprid)?

i've just started using BotaniGard 22WP and it seems pretty safe on the plants. not a systemic and needs three sprays within three to five days of the previous though.

I use Botanigard since 6 months. Pretty safe. But I only use it once every 2 to 4 weeks to control mealybugs. Glad to know I am not alone to use such a "friendly" pesticide!

Back