I just selfed my fairrieanum. How long a wait now??

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
I just went for it in case the plant does not live long, and it already has all kind of marks going on some of the leaves which worries me, but I love this flower.
Hopefully it will take it and live long enough to produce a capsule.
Can anyone please tell me how long this species takes to mature a seed pod?

Also, does it make a difference whether to use just one pollen sac or both?? or is it a waste if I used both?
I just used one and now I'm thinking what to do with the other.
I thought about crossing it with my Norito Hasegawa in bloom, but then I'm not sure as I think the rate of decently shaped flowers out of parvi x fairrie is rather low.
I would love to have a nicely shaped Golden Diamond lookalike, or even good chunky Green Jade.
I don't see many of these offered, so I assume they either do not mix and produce seeds well or the progeny mortality is high??

I love red fair-maud and I do have a bunch of vini in bloom, although my best one is now spiking. hmmmm

I also have Paph. Mini Snowflake that just opened, but the dorsal is ugly. This fairrie might be able to help there, who knows, but I'm not sure.
Nice Angela lookalike might also be good. I'm not too fond of Iona.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39655

You can barely see the part of the pollen sac stuck at the bottom of the stigma.

It is very pretty even without the pouch. :)

fairrie_zps4wmiypsq.jpg

That is an awesome fairrieanum. I hope the selfing takes. If so it will take 6-9 months for the pod to ripen.

Keep the roots moist and remember to sterilize tools if you end up having to cut anything off. I think the plant is strong enough that you can just let it grow without any intervention.

Thanks.
So how do you know when it is ready?
The change of color?
Would you harvest it while still green or??
I guess I don't need to worry about it now. I just pollinated it and do not even know what will happen. lol

That is an awesome fairrieanum. I hope the selfing takes. If so it will take 6-9 months for the pod to ripen.

Keep the roots moist and remember to sterilize tools if you end up having to cut anything off. I think the plant is strong enough that you can just let it grow without any intervention.

fairrieanum takes long time if want to harvest and use as dry seeds....if you use green pod time is more or less like other Paphs...

My last fairrieanum capsule took more than 12 month to dry seed. If you like to harvest the capsule while still green 9 or 10 month are the right time.

Ok, thank you.
Here's another question, well, two more questions.
Is there a benefit to harvesting one way over the other??
Is the potential spread of virus when dealing with green pod?
Germination rate differs?? or chance of missing seeds after waiting too long??

When harvesting the green pod, how do you know exactly when it is ready since it is still green??

You never know when a green pod is best to harvest. It belongs to the temperature of your growing space, the light level, the pollen parent ...

I prefer green pod for those species that need a very long time to mature their seed pods. I think there is no difference in terms of germination rate, virus spread etc. At the end it belongs to your lab. Some sow only dry seed others green pod only.

Ok, thank you.
Here's another question, well, two more questions.
Is there a benefit to harvesting one way over the other??
Is the potential spread of virus when dealing with green pod?
Germination rate differs?? or chance of missing seeds after waiting too long??

When harvesting the green pod, how do you know exactly when it is ready since it is still green??

Mostly of the "Himalayan"Paph species take up to 11-14 months to split open...

Green pod usually have the advantage of a much better germination,cause the seeds have not to be disinfected...in the lab procedure the pod is disinfected in sterile conditions and seeds flasked without disinfection...usually the inside of the pod is sterile and virus free even if the plant is infected by a virus...dry seeds easy to be stored and transported but when flasked have to be disinfected and a good portion of the seeds are destroyed in the disinfection process

Thanks, everyone.

So, one last question, in case of green pod harvest, you harvest at around 9-10 months after pollination since you can't tell exactly when it is ready?
How about color turning yellow? Does yellowing or browning of the pod take place very fast?
Once the green fades, is it too late for a lab who prefers green pod??

Thanks, everyone.

So, one last question, in case of green pod harvest, you harvest at around 9-10 months after pollination since you can't tell exactly when it is ready?
How about color turning yellow? Does yellowing or browning of the pod take place very fast?
Once the green fades, is it too late for a lab who prefers green pod??

yes,will be ok...

Yellowing/browning take place quite fast but leave you the time to harvest the pod and send to lab....the most important thing is that the seedpod dont open to prevent infections going inside the pod...

so a lab who wants green pod,just needs that the pod is perfectly closed...
This because the technique used is different and is not due to the rippening stage of the seeds

But,if you want to "go pro"

with some varieties the rippening time is considered very important to have best germination,but must be ultra experienced about the particular specie to know it(must ask to an experienced person or study about the specie and trial done scientifically about it,by the labs/scientists)

This will give you better germination....but if you are not a commercial grower,or if you are not reproducing a new or very difficult to germinate specie,is not worth doing,cause with modern techniques and medias,you can easily receive back few hundreads seedlings(when unlucky) also without those studies...

Latest posts

Back