Hisae's Royal Duck (Bel Royal x adductum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent!!! The adductum brought the plant size down and added dark tones, excellent hybrid!! What else did she have in bloom?

It looked to me as though the bottom flower was old and tired and on it's way out. It looks like a straight roth, to me. Maybe it's the angle of the photos. A photo straight-on the top flower; but, also showing the staminode, would help.

Happy to provide more photos :)

I commented to Marilyn that it looked like a mini roth, she agreed.

It is interesting how the bottom and top flowers are different. Bottom flower is still quite firm, no sign of fading.

1779b2e5c7ea3d7a20c3a350519adca7.jpg

e49a1f3486cb467ab8eb856c026d6475.jpg

9d960f383b8c8fc1aad907196527e88e.jpg

030971c5d01c46917593a1cecd10c295.jpg

No adductum could be seen. The trait of roths is dominant. Not a successful hybrid in my opinion. May be better if anitum is used.

Thanks for the extra pics. Now, I am more convinced that it's not got adductum as a direct parent. That flower is not 1/2 adductum. Google "Paph. rothschildianum". There's a bunch of very nice photos. One of them is a very large, close-up photo of a roth flower with a very clear and complete view of the staminode shield (the "bee's knee"). It's identical to the staminode on your flower. Here is the link: http://http://www.orchidspecies.co.uk/images/D/PAPH-ROTHS-03.jpg

Notice that the bottom flower on your plant is deformed. The base of the pouch is not properly covering (wrapping overtop), of the staminode "foot"; a.k.a. the stigma.....the part of the staminode where the pollen goes when a flower is fertilised. It should not be visible from the front, as it is in your photo. That forces an insect to crawl up the back wall inside the pouch and escape through one of the two small openings on the side and in doing so, the insect's back first rubs past the stigma and then past the pollen. I wonder if the "bowed legs" stance/shape of the petals on the bottom flower of this plant, which superficially looks like it's got adductum in it, is why this plant got that label? Yet, it's really just a deformed roth flower. The other two flowers just look like rothschildianum. They do not even look like they've got ANY kolopakingii in them. Paph. kolo has a MUCH more flat, broad staminode shield, similar; but, not as extreme as stonei; but very close to the shape of platyphyllum. There is virtually zero sign that anything with a staminode shield like that is a grand parent of this plant. The pouch is a little chunky when you look at it from the front; which could bring adductum to mind because adductum does have that same "Jay Leno chin" look; but, the pouch shape is perfectly within the variation found in pure roth. I still think it's either pure roth, or a mostly roth hybrid, with roth on both sides of the family tree. There is no recent adductum in that flower, IMO. I've never, ever heard even a hint of a bad word, or any critisims of Marilyn; so, I'm kind of surprised that this plant was sold with that name. I don't know how her place is set up, or how much personal service she is able to give her customers. So, I wonder if that plant sneaked past her without her realizing what the label said. I'd check with her on this. I'm interested in what other highly experienced strap leaf Paph growers think. Opinions anyone?

I agree with John, Interesting flower but if it is an hybrid then a lot of straight paph roth are hybrids too
When I see some latest Japanese or Taiwanes roth in flower on forums I always ask me the question, some are so close to Lady Isabel color for ex...

The stami is a roth staminode for me and color could be for a pale roth , I flowered one roth like that from Taiwan

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I would have had no idea the plant was mislabeled.

If it is a pure rothschildianum, I won't be disappointed. However, I now am concerned about the other Paphs I bought. I hope they are not mislabeled as well.

The staminode does look like that of a roth. But the colour looks so wrong. You would swear it had stonei/latifolium in it.

The parent is Bel Royal. These flowers scream kolopakingii and roth. You would be wise to take it back to Windy Hill.

The parent is Bel Royal. These flowers scream kolopakingii and roth. You would be wise to take it back to Windy Hill.

Yes, I agree Rick. The pale colour could come from the kolo parent and the shape and twist of the dorsal looks heavily influenced by kolopakingii.

yes the staminode looks like roth but the petals and dorsal do not. it def has Bel Royal in it. if you picked it because you liked the flowers then i would not be too concerned.

Latest posts

Back