Help me choose some roths!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since most appear to be the same size anyway, I would go for the price range you can afford. As for which ones in particular, no one really knows anyway what a seedling will come out like in flower. If it were me, I'd buy a mixture of seedlings with FCC awarded parents and some with parents never awarded. Should they turn out spectacular, you'd have a better chance at winning a FCC. Good luck!

Any of the crosses with Val x Mont Milais should be great. Some say that the Rex x MM line is still the state of the art but I agree with Sam that the Val x MM line of breeding is the best, many of them are very dark in color.

Excluding the Japanese imports (i have a handful of those seedlings myself), my top picks off his current list would be:

Sam's Best x Perfection (These should be very dark, I want some of these, but i already have a whole flask worth of Sam's Best x Canadian Club, which is a sib to Perfection).
Sam's Choice x Perfection

Also:
Red Sky x Rex
Oriental Red x Mont Milais
Oriental Heritage x Red Glory

Sam's Best x Mont Milais should also turn out very similar and maybe even better than Val x MM, but I would want a lot of seedlings to improve the odds of getting a great one. The other crosses are all one generation of selection down from the Val x MM parentage so the odds are slighly better on those. But the principle of buying multiple of a cross really goes for all seedlings. Anyway, Sam's whole list is full of really great crosses, you can't go wrong with any of them...I was very pleased with the Sam's Best x Rex plants I bloomed out, but I love the older style roths. It's too bad my division of Sam's Best died. I was really gutted over that.

Sam's Best x Perfection should definitely be one!
'Very similar to PAS0395 but easier and faster to grow!' - that says quite a bit right there!

Latest posts

Back