Hello from Wisconsin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to Slippertalk, SlipperNewbie. This is a good forum to join -- you'll soon become addicted to slippers, like we all are here!

Right now, window sill, but I am looking at info on lights. In my current living situation, I only have north windows and a west facing sliding door. The north isn't enough light, of course, and I have to constantly adjust the shades at the door so the leaves won't burn.

Don't write off north windows. If you have a north window (the larger the better) facing open sky, no obstructions, it can be plenty of light to bloom some Paphs and some other things, including Epi. pseudepidendrum. I did it for several years. Possibly some Phals too, but I didn't have any during that time.

I've used south and west facing patio doors too. Usually a sheer curtain was all the shade needed, no fussing with changing blinds. The plants were on a sets of shelves on wheels so I could adjust the distance from the door too. A shift in distance every few weeks, with or without the sheer curtain depending on season and sun angle, and I only had problems with leaf burn if I didn't think about it for a month or more.

My Paph spicerianum has arrived, bloom (well bud actually) still intact! Any tips on help it to "settle in" appreciated! ;)

The way the door blinds are set up, we can't really add a sheer curtain. I have the orchids on a table right in front of the door. While it's still warm enough, I have the door open for air circulation. I've had them on the window sill in the big north facing window as well. I'll turn on the humidifier and a fan for air circulation in there. Trying to figure out what they'll appreciate the most! My Onc. Sharry Baby has thrown out new growths, but I haven't been able to get it to re-bloom. That was why lights were suggested and so that quest began. :)

Still waiting for my lovely bloom to open! Am I silly for being excited about seeing the tiniest of growth (hopefully spikes) on my orchids? :)

Hi, and a warm welcome from Germany. For sure, you choosed the right place to join.
BTW I like your signature very much.

Latest posts

Back