Hello from Colorado

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

S

starwhiz

Hello All,
I have so far about 40 orchids (variety and; a Phrag Bel croate (Sorcerer’s Apprentice) I got in 10/2005 and has not rebloom yet;3 paphs (Paph. Delophyllum, with a flower just opened with 2 more buds). Im not sure but the flower looks small compared to other paph's flower I have seen. The pouch is about an inch long. Is this normal? I feed it with: 1/2 tsp grow more
/a gal per week, 1/4 tsp Calmag, 1/4 tsp hormex, 1 drop superthrive, under 42w cfl/8 hrs/day. I placed it near the window with east sunshine in June. humidity is about 35-45 (its tough here in dry colorado). Any comment on the size of the flower, I will appreciate. Thanks.
p.s. I read somewhere that phrag and paphs are heavy feeders

G

goldenrose

WELCOME STAR!
Paphs & phrags for the most part are NOT heavy feeders.
Is this a first time bloom for this plant? If so, don't worry about it, the flowers typically, get larger as the plant gets more mature & stronger.

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Welcome! Where in Colorado are you? My father was raised in Co. Springs. Matt Gore, who is a member (and a super grower and vendor) here is also in CO.

re: your plant, sometimes flowers get larger as they open and age. I don't think you're over feeding. Most recommendations are for 1 tsp. per gallon but it depends on your fertilizer of course.

S

starwhiz

Hello

Thanks Marco, GoldenR, Heather. Two yrs ago, I got the plant bareroot with new growth(the flowers are from this new growth), there maybe bloom from 2 old plant. Im using ½ tsp Grow More 20 10 20/gal/week. Should I change it to 1tsp? Heather, Im in Colsprings and a member of the CSO society. Your Dad still here in Springs?

Heather

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
Nope, he moved east and settled in MA with my mom and sadly, is no longer with us. We still have some cousins there. I have fond memories of visiting when I was about 7 and was able to get back to visit Garden of the Gods a few years ago when I lived in New Mexico.

My dad's family home was near the Broadmore.

G

gore42

Hi Star;

I may be speaking at the CO Springs Orchid Society next month. I was invited, but it happens to be on my SO's birthday... and we had other plans. Hopefully we can work something out :) If so, I'll bring along some nice plants, and hopefully will get a chance to meet you :)

As Ever,
Matthew Gore

S

starwhiz

Thanks slipperfan. Hello Matt, The Pres of the CSOS mentioned about your webpage in our last meeting (i just read the minutes...). Looking forward to meeting you.