Hello from Canada

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

orchideya

Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum and relatively new to the slipper orchids. I found this forum while looking for paphiopedilum info and pictures. Look forward to learning a lot from you all.

I have several Paphiopedilum species since last spring, they took a while to establish and I lost a few due to a very little knowledge, but whoever survived - is doing great and now I am working on the shopping list to order more when spring comes. My favorite are parvisepalum species and hybrids.
I also have one Phrag since October, it is Phragmipedium pearcei and it came from Ecuagenera.
I don't have any bloom pictures to post since mine haven't flowered yet, however I do have two developing buds to show.
This is Paphiopedilum armeniacum:

paph_armeniacum_bud.jpg

And here is Paphiopedilum malipoense. I am not sure if this is bud coming out or just new leaf. Would like to think it is a bud. If somebody experienced could confirm it - would be great:

paph_malipoense_bud.jpg

Thank you for looking.

Thanks Heather.
Yaay for the spike! Now I need to keep it from blasting...
I will definitely check out that auction, we have quite limited options here in Canada. For now I am making a list for Piping Rock and Ecuagenera since they are coming to our shows in spring.

Welcome from the midwest U.S.A. which has been experiencing an incredibly mild winter!
I agree with Heather, I'd say it's a bud too! Don't change anything, BTW what are your conditions? Windowsill, under lights?

Thank you Goldenrose.
I grow my paphs in the basement games room which is slightly cooler than rest of the house. They live in a large Ikea bookcase on the wall against tall south east window that spans from the main floor down to the basement.
They receive small amount of sun very early morhing.
I also have masdie and dracula mixed in with paphs in that bookcase.
Phrag pearcei lives on the S/E windowsill right behind cattleyas and vandas.
I don't have artificial lights.
When you say don't change anything, you mean location, right?
Can I turn the pot around? I noticed that paph armeniacum spike started to lean on the side (probably towards the light), is it ok to turn the plant around?
Thanks again.

Welcome from Hamilton, Ontario! Yup....that's a bud on your malipoense. It will take 6 to 9 months to reach blooming. Be patient. They are slo-ooooooow! Sometimes, they will half open the bud and then sit there for months until they suddenly "wake up" and finishe the job and open fully. I'd try to avoid turing the pot while buds are developing. You can stake them up after the flower opens; but, if you turn while it's growing the stem, you'll end up with a corkscrew, wonky-shaped stem that may look really odd.

Thank you John_M.
What??!! 6 - 9 months??!! How on earth do you keep it from blasting for so long?

Back