Harlequin phal question?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Hera

I am having some difficulty keeping the roots on a harlequin phal from rotting. I have tried several different medium from sphag, to hydroton (in s/h and out of s/h) small bark and large bark mix. Right now the two seedlings are in large bark mix. I grow in the house and the local humidity is about 50%. I was wondering if perhaps the harlequin and/or the red pigmented types are more suceptible to root rot. I would like to get more of this type of phal, but I hesitate to get them if I will have trouble keeping them alive.

Thanks for the suggestion. My other phals are doing super in a coir/ charcol/ perlite mix. This one is just so different that it baffles me. I thought it might have something to do with the red pigment in the leaves and stem.

What is the temprature?? Very important for root formation in addition with humidity!! Also if you change potting mix often, the plant cannot adjust properly, but I think you already know this! Good luck!

It may be just a problem with this particular plant or hybrid. Sometimes that happens, especially with the way hybridizing and mass production is currently done. I grow a lot of Phals, mostly species, but have not heard of any widespread vigor problems with harlequin Phals in particular.

Susan

Back