Habenaria Regnieri in bud

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Primary hybrid, purchased in southern Virginia a few years ago. I thought it was toast last winter, nursed it along and have had it under nearly constant spotlight for a few months. Plant is very strong now

34c6bb650648fafd2af6597b342ee0df.jpg

82a0000552ade6899f67cf6bf2857a80.jpg
Just a quick snap of buds, they look a little like platanthera ciliaris buds

I had a hab medusae that I thought was healthy but bulb disappeared over the winter :(
Also had a seedling from Leon Glicenstein that emerged and looked okay for awhile, but then the leaves browned and it died back :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So how EXACTLY do you handle it during dormancy as to water? I've tried the ziplock baggie completely dry method, the spritz it occasionally method and the leave it out but no water at all method, and lose about 1/2 of my plants every dormant period. Nothing seems to work.

So how EXACTLY do you handle it during dormancy as to water? I've tried the ziplock baggie completely dry method, the spritz it occasionally method and the leave it out but no water at all method, and lose about 1/2 of my plants every dormant period. Nothing seems to work.

I hesitated to reply before because my habenaria survival has been very hit and miss! It may be that the soil type strengthens or weakens it. I had one of the orange ones in tiny pot and sphagnum and I completely forgot about it after it died back. Received nothing for nearly three months, was going to throw out when I saw two strong points sticking out. When it started to grow I watered from bottom.

This one is in soil with sand, I didn't see anything so thought might be dead and tilted out soil. Found a small shoot so repotted with just a little soil over top. Have watered lightly until coming up well then kept moist and almost constant light to strengthen it. I had a medusae that I thought would be fine, it disappeared. A little hybrid in sphagnum Leon gave me came up okay but after a month the leaves turned brown and rotted

All of this is growing windowsills or lights, no greenhouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back