habenaria rhodocheila

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When we were setting up the displays for our orchid society show a few weeks ago, I couldn't believe the bright orange flowers I saw coming from one of the vendor's tables! Checking it out I saw that the plants were habenaria rhodocheila; I'd only seen habenarias like this in catalogs or pictures of terrestrial orchid habitat pages on the internet; I was surprised later when it turned out that a few vendors had them for sale. Since they all had them in flower/bud for sale and they all looked the same, I'm sure they all came from the wholesaler (in hawaii, as it turns out). A fellow orchid club member who works now in the general philadelphia, pa. area said that they are so commonly sold in that area in shows, that it seems that you can't get away from them. .. i'm glad they brought some up north!

I couldn't resist buying one plant during the show, and it was this one. These are actually pretty easy to grow; keep them warm and moist during the growing season, and then after they flower or later in the fall when the plant starts to turn yellow, let the plant dry out and keep it warm. ... that's it! it might need a slight mist over the winter to keep it from being absolutely bone dry, but you don't water until you have green shoots coming up out of the media and then you must be careful to not get moisture in the emerging crown. can you imagine seeing a whole cluster of these flowering in a pot?!

hrhodocheila1011a.JPG

the color really is brighter orange than this!

hrhodocheila1011b.JPG

hrhodocheila1011c.JPG

a close look at the 'eyes' (they sort of look like snail eyes up close ;) )

hrhodocheila1011d.JPG

whole plant

does anyone know how to pollinate these? I'd love to set some pods

?hmm ..sure why not? I hate to ask this but where does the pollen go (flinching, waiting for smart... reply from nyeric ;) )

would you like some pollen from one of these flowers?

Very nice. They look like little spacecrafts ready to be launched from the mother ship.

They are indeed very easy. I put mine in baggies to keep a little moisture in and to keep from overwatering. If you look under the top hood you can see where the pollen is and where it goes.

?hmm ..sure why not? I hate to ask this but where does the pollen go (flinching, waiting for smart... reply from nyeric ;) )

would you like some pollen from one of these flowers?
I don't have any idea where to place the pollen, and I think the cross would be better with yours as the pod parent (color?). PM me your mailing address and I'll send you some.

Dissect a few flowers, and finding out where the pollen goes is easy enough. But they tend to not self very easily - I have tried every year for the past three with my plants, and failed every time.

Back