habenaria medusae culture?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
bought a terrestrial from michael ooi in malaysia through the redland orchid festival, a habenaria medusa. I think Thanasis has one and a carnea? I really wanted to get a h. carnea also and it's on their list but was told that none were available or were going to make the trip to florida. I've seen pics and lists of carnea in the states, but with prohibitive prices. what's the best way to grow medusa under lights or on a windowsill in upstate ny?

I've grown it successfully under lights. Keep evenly moist and fertilize while actively growing. When the leaves start to yellow and die, quit fertilizing and greatly reduce water until new growth starts in the spring.

I only have Pecteilis...! No Habenaria for me, but H. medusae (myriotriha) is in my wish list! :D I also have Calanthe and Eulophia...But the culture Ross suggested is suitable for all of them I guess. Good luck!

When the leaves start to yellow and die, quit fertilizing and greatly reduce water until new growth starts in the spring.
ONe of mine started to yellow its leaves and when I unpotted to check out what was happening it had grown from 1 corm to 3. Unfortunately it is now turning into summer here. Do I reduce water now and then when will it start to grow?

ONe of mine started to yellow its leaves and when I unpotted to check out what was happening it had grown from 1 corm to 3. Unfortunately it is now turning into summer here. Do I reduce water now and then when will it start to grow?

Ah, sounds like it is off cycle, that's all. When did it start growing for you, early winter? Typically mine start to grow now, flower in late summer/early fall, and die back in December. So they need about 7 months to grow and 5 to be dormant. One big issue is to keep them WARM during dormancy (70s F), don't cool them down or you will easily rot them, particularly if they are kept too damp. My house is cold in winter and I always lose a few this way, so be careful!

Oh, charles, how are you going to keep the plants in 80% humidity??? Isn't it getting kind of tall? Well this is restricting me from getting it...:(:(:(:(:( and I love this plant!

welcome. I've been told that others grow it under lights or on a windowsill; I have other orchids that like to be humid but they don't die if it's a bit low, so we'll see what happens.

Latest posts

Back