Habenaria medusa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Here is the fabulous Habenaria medusa (AKA H. myriotricha). Surprisingly easy in culture and from early reports easy to flask as well. You'll be seeing many more of these hitting the markets in coming years. These pics were taken in the morning sun.

HabMedusaSPSun.jpg

HabMedusaFWLSun.jpg

nice!!! I LOVE the weirdness of the flowers!

I hope mine will bloom.. it has a bud-like growth that has been pretty much dormant for the past weeks :( any ideas of how to make it bloom?

Tom, my heart just skipped a beat! This is one I've been lusting for since I first saw it's picture. I have feelers out, but so far, no source.

Gorgeous photos, as well.

Last edited:
who's you're daddy?!!

Michel Orchid Nursery 250 E. Greencastle Road Mooresville, IN 46158
http://michelorchid.com/habenariamedusae.aspx

My goodness, Charles -- you are such a resource for me! I've ordered some Phal species from a contact you gave me, and now you are reminding me about Erich Michel -- I hadn't thought of him, but he did tell me that he was the one who did most of the flasking for Hoosiers. Anyway, I've now sent him an email and we'll see what he says about price.

Thank you!!!

I love this one's strangeness. I just added one to the collection and it's stretching that spike out, but still hasn't opened the flowers yet. I'll just have to enjoy yours 'til then.

Thanks for the nice comments folks. I grow this one just like any of the other tropical Habenaria sp. from SE Asia - in a nice humus mixed with sand. They want perpetual moisture, but must remain well drained. Smaller pots seem better than larger as well, so undersize the pot you use. During growth they need consistent warmth, at least above 25 C on average. If they stay too cool they can stall - maybe that's what happened to yours Jorch. Once they die down for the winter hold back virtually all watering until the next spring (April-May). Once they start growth keep them moist. Really, they are the prefect companion to Paphs, so they should be a breeze for you all!

Zach, Habenaria radiata (yes, the damn taxonomists are up to it again, this species is "back in" Habenaria rather than Pecteilis) is a true temperate bog species, very unlike this one. I do feel that H. radiata is a bit touchy, but not too bad once you figure out its needs.

I just read this thread. Funny, I emailed Erich M. about H. carnea today! :p Weird!! Does this one have nice foliage also?

Eric, H. carnea has the nicest foliage of the "easy to get" species. Other good ones are the H. rhodocheila forms, including H. xanthocheila (maybe not a good species, but quite beautiful and distinct). Unfortunately, H. medusa has just plain old green leaves, but they have a nice waxy texture.

Back