Good technique for internal bacterial and fungal outbreaks

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone

Reaction score
I have discovered a great way to stop smallish bacterial or fungal spots developing inside a leaf.

1/ Take a needle or similar and make many puntures all around (and directly into) the infected area and beyond. (You need to look closely for any spread along a vein)
No need to go through the leaf but do both sides.

For large areas you can use a razor blade and make long cuts going right through the leaf (logitudinally) starting above the infection and going through it and below it.

2/ Paint the whole area well with undiluted Chlorothalonil ( works on fungus and bacteria)

3/ Within 24 hours, the affected area is sunken and dried. Problem gone!

It has never not worked for me on a leaf but I have not tried it on a rhizome or in the growing area but it would be worth a try.

4/ The government here are bastards because I can't find chloro anymore!!

I use the same technique with Physan 20/RD20 without dilution especially when the infection is near the base of the leaves (in this way, we don't have to cut off the entire leaf). It is a bit thick undiluted, so I swab it on the infected site with a Q-tip. Then I poke holes. I start from the surrounding area toward the center of infection (cleaner area to dirtier area). Basically you are helping the plant to kill the infected tissues quickly to contain the infection (Physan 20 seems to be able to kill the plant tissue at a high concentration). In a country where antibiotics are easy to get, it would be probably more effective with bacteria for this technique.

Ah Tyrone, you're the one who helped me save my
Windy Hill China Dragon III when you suggested peroxide
injection. Thank you! I have syringes for giving my dogs
liquid medicine and one worked just fine for injecting H202 into a rotted spot. Worked like a charm before the
Phyton even arrived. Thanks all over you!

Latest posts

Back