Gongora grow habbit!!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

biothanasis

Hello all,

Could someone tell me how do Gongoras grow??? New growth is a new psdb or a spike??? I can see a new growth forming at my quinquinervis but I cannot wait and see what it will be...:):):) TYIA

The new growths pop up as really tight spirals of leaves. As the growth matures, the leaves expand and the pseudobulb grows over time. The spikes do look similar to new pseudobulbs at first. Usually quinquinervis bloom in the summer for us if I remember right?

-Ernie

Ernie explained it to a 'T'! Mine bloomed pretty much all summer, I was so impressed I had to buy a few more species!

Gongoras grow as epiphytic plant , yoiu have to cultivate them in baskets , because the flowers appear under it , I mean the flowers cross the basket . Gongora requires a fresh temperature, humidity and no sunlight . you can put osmunda in the basket to maintain humidity. if u want more info you can talk to me [email protected]

bye

Help!!!!!!!

The plant has started two new growths, but the leaves are turning brown and one has dropped!!! Now it seems like it is variegated (look photo)!!!

I noticed 3-4 days ago that green insects on the leaves (almost 15)..!!! I eliminated all I could see and I tried to kill those hiding inside the point where the leaves emerge using alchohol and some listerine (just to be sure)!!!! There were no insects at the psdbs and roots (as far as I could see) and I potted the plant in new mix!!! Yesterday I saw another 3 on one of the leaves!!! What should I do!!! Do you think they could be entering from outside??? I eave the balcony door open for fresh air and those two plants are near it!!!!!! The plant next to it has nothing!!!!

Is it normal to shed leaves before/during forming new growth or is it because of the insects???

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 19
What green insects..? Aphids? Small grasshoppers..? Anyway, gongoras will grow from leafless bulbs. I always propagate mine from leafless back-bulbs. Even a single old bulb will produce growth. But do try to get rid of the pests so they don't attack the new shoot..

They might be aphids! Not sure!! I haven't seen any till now!!! Thank you for the tip!!!

Latest posts

Back