Fuzzy serpent tongue

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
I need to check my record but I am thrilled to flower this. It was a small plant I got couple years ago. I was on a ladder installing drip misting for my Vanda and took a quick picture with my phone.

Peter Lin

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1344084029.054781.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1344084029.054781.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 131
Here is a larger image. I was limited to 11 KB on attachment.

This is a Trichoglottis brachiata - a tall vining Vanda relative with spicy fragrance, one flower per leaf axil. I got it 3 years ago as a small keiki. I fogot about this until it flowers.

Trichoglottis_brachiata.JPG

Thanks for the larger photo. It's wonderful! I had this species years ago; but, while it did bloom for the previous owner, I could not get it to bloom for me! It would begin initiating a flower; but, while it was just barely through the protective bract on the stem, the bud would turn black and stop growing. I see you've got a couple aborted blooming attempts as well. Do you know what made if finally give you the flower?

John, I am not sure. This plant is not very big, it grew taller over the years. Maybe from 5 inches in height to 12 inches now. I tend to underwater. So it might get more water somehow. There is no shortage of light because leaves are light green in color.

Peter Lin

Photo update. I've been making an effort to water this plant more often, and I'm now rewarded with more flowers. :)

6974c1ebe9be84105d62d1593fb13251.jpg

Back