Fredclarkeara After Dark

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rose, So you are suggesting that you don't let them go into dormancy?
Mine have not gone into dormancy yet, but I think I will let them do that soon...
Is yours a young seedling? It was end of Jan. when I bought mine so it made sense to keep it growing. I have supplement lighting in my GH during the winter months so it was easy. I was then faced with a cool summer & somewhat undecided if I should try to keep it growing one more winter. The plant made that decision for me! I think that was a good thing, the growths were huge this year & I'm sure the hot summer it liked, I was watering every other day & fertilizing at full strength. The ones I saw on display had no where near 16 buds, I'd really like to know how many flowers awarded ones had & the size. I think these flowers are a bit small (4.5cm x 4.5cm).

Great info Ramon! I think I got lucky - I did basically what you suggested - so guys make note! (I'll even get braver on the fertilizer next year!)
I was wondering if cooler conditions would produce darker blooms? Even though it spiked this fall, we did have a warm/dry fall.
I have seen plants in bloom without leaves, so I figured this was normal, I didn't want to overwater at this stage. My other thought was - spidermites! :rollhappy: Actually the cycnodes are next to the gongoras, I think spidermites like them as well, they've all been getting Decker's peppermint soap spray!

.... Can you please take another foto w/ a different background so the color pops better? :D Thanx for posting and good luck. Good info Ramon, maybe I'll try a couple.
Today we have sunny weather & the temps have not taken a nose dive. I'll give it a shot, my gut feeling was there would be to much contrast between the subject & the background & that would throw things off.

Rose, if you bring it, you will be able to find out from the judges what its potential is, even if it doesn't get an award. Judging is a learning experience.
Found out last night at work I'm scheduled to work 1-5pm this Sat. so doesn't look like I'll make it, I have agility trials 2 days & Sun. off for OC so I'll just bring it there.

white background

better than I thought-
FredclarkearaAfterDark002-1.jpg
FredclarkearaAfterDark007-1.jpg

Very Nice Rose!!! Good Growing!!
I have 3 seedling FDKs', I am hoping at least one is Black!! 1 is big enough to bloom but I think it will be next year!! I have around 15 in the alliance, w/ 5 blooming size..

Update!

All 16 flowers are open and along came a bonus I didn't expect - a wonderful fragrance!
FredclarkearaAfterDark002-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back