frag fever

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hanne Popow

005-1.jpg
HannePopow015.jpg

and then the disappointment -
Rosy Charm x besseae 'Paute'
001-1.jpg

What do you think is special? I'll try to reshoot tomorrow. I don't like the splotchy color of the petals. This is a first time bloom, it was in the GH so I've had temps 55-80. In my house I won't have that kind of range, hopefully the next flower will have more consistent color. I have another plant of this cross & I don't remember it being splotchy. Oh well!

the fever continues....

longifolium hincksianum
longifolium001.jpg
longifolium006.jpg

Question/quiz - on a sales table I saw a miniature version of this, flower wise. The foliage was almost grassy, like ecaudorense & only about 6" tall. It was labeled hincksianum but seeing this was the same vendor I got the Cardinale from that was labeled Schroderae, NO WAY! Any idea what it might have been? It was cute as could be!

longifolium hincksianum

Question/quiz - on a sales table I saw a miniature version of this, flower wise. The foliage was almost grassy, like ecaudorense & only about 6" tall. It was labeled hincksianum but seeing this was the same vendor I got the Cardinale from that was labeled Schroderae, NO WAY! Any idea what it might have been? It was cute as could be!

Hi Goldenrose, the little thing you are talking about,did you see it in bloom or just the foliage?
I do have a plant labelled as hicksianum with those characteristics, it is the smallest longifoliom I ever seen... It fit Gary's (1979) description, but this can be an other very interesting discussion...
It might be what you've seen?
Sorry no nice cloudy sky this morning ...;) I had to take those photos on the run...

7002.jpg

To show it's size, beside my pearcei var ecuadorense
7001.jpg

And a straigh longifolium...
7005.jpg

Hope it help for the clue! :)

I think this smaller form of longifolium is f. gracile. I have this plant and it matches the description and photos. It can be found on phragweb.info and is described as a smaller form of longifolium.

Here is the link:

http://www.phragweb.info/phragmipedium/species/display_species_phrag.asp?phrag_id=182
I have to disagree with you on this one Joe. the discription of gracile is way off from my plant of hincksianum and probably Rose's as well. My spikes reach well into the 60cm (2 ft) as does the leaf span. The discription also says gracile is pale compared to longifolium and that's not the case here. Clearly, Rose's hincksianum has stronger pink to the flower parts then a lot of straight longifoliums. Mine is also as Rose's but not as strong.
Now, Phrag-plus's might be the case depending on his measurments.

I have to disagree with you on this one Joe. the discription of gracile is way off from my plant of hincksianum and probably Rose's as well. My spikes reach well into the 60cm (2 ft) as does the leaf span. The discription also says gracile is pale compared to longifolium and that's not the case here. Clearly, Rose's hincksianum has stronger pink to the flower parts then a lot of straight longifoliums. Mine is also as Rose's but not as strong.
Now, Phrag-plus's might be the case depending on his measurments.

I'm not talking about Rose's hincksianum, I'm talking about the "mini longifolium" she saw. Phrag. longifolium var. hincksianum, to my knowledge, is a variety of longifolium that is shorter than the standard species, but not as small as gracile (although now I am unsure about hincksianum's size compared to the standard species). The plant she saw for sale that is smaller than her hincksianum, I think, is likely f. gracile.

I think this smaller form of longifolium is f. gracile. I have this plant and it matches the description and photos. It can be found on phragweb.info and is described as a smaller form of longifolium.

Here is the link:

http://www.phragweb.info/phragmipedium/species/display_species_phrag.asp?phrag_id=182

The flower looked quite similar, if I recall (notice how the memory becomes hazy already!:p), the petals were held more horizontal. I wish Phragweb would also include a foliage shot, but with the description, it certainly sounds like it!

Latest posts

Back