fishing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn! I either lost one of the largest fish I ever caught, or the largest clump of whatever. Fishing was lousy tonight, as expected in the heat...it wasn't good the past week, with only a small blue the other night and a small striper last night. As I was about to quit, I hooked something HEAVY! I assumed it was a rock, and was ready to just pull my line until it either popped or broke free (I'm using 10 lb test). I felt some give....so I assumed it was rockweed...then it moved...slowly...to make a long story short, I followed "it" to the end of the beach, where the channel meets the bay, slowly gaining line. No runs, obviously not a bluefish, striper, or weakfish. At the point, already dark by now, some friends come by in a boat to watch and chat...finally the lure broke free...no damage, lure intact (a 1 oz Storm shad)....what was it??? Either the most enormous clump of rockweed or Codium I have ever snagged, or a gigantic fluke...I can't think of any other fish that coould imitate a weed clump so well. But it would have had to have been at least 8 lbs...no, not a skate, I have never seen them in this bay...besides, I wasn't using bait....OH well...at aleast got to chat with friends afterwards and share a beer...................Take care, Eric

damn that sucks. I wonder if it could have been a cownose ray; people have been seeing them for a couple weeks now and, although I've never caught one, people describe their fight as a tractor pull, steady even pressure (and a ton of weight) without blistering runs. These suckers get big, to 20-30 pounds or more and often lead to snapped lines.

Fishing has been pretty slow in the ocean too with these water temps. Went fluking yesterday off the south shore after my 25 hour call and was surprised with a research study on the boat that made it legal to keep 4 fluke at 14" that day. The fish were totally sluggish though, I use a 2-hook rig and they usually hit the teaser 12" off the bottom, but yesterday all the fish hit the bottom hook. ended up with 4 fish between 15 and 17", which would have been shorts with these ridiculous regs but with the study I had fillets for the table.

It crossed my mind that it could be some kind of ray, like a cow-nose or stingray....they have been showing up on the south shore. Would a ray take a lure like a rubber shad? There was no damage to the lure or the line, no signs of fraying of the line....all I had were 2 strands of fine Enteromorpha seaweed, filaments of which are always floating in the tide. My son suggested that I might have hooked the bucket I lost there a few years ago.....(definitely a heartwarming story...the wind was so strong it blew my empty bucket into the channel...a boat came by and we asked them to get our bucket...they said "Your bucket's over here..." and went off.....reaffirms my faith in humanity.)
Take care, Eric

I have no idea if they have teeth but I seem to recall they will hit plugs occasionally? (I'd have to look into the fishing forums to verify that one).

Sounds like you guys are having a wild time of it this summer!
I would like to try fishing some time. My dad would have liked to go fishing with me I think. We did it a couple times when I was very wee and had a fun time, but I only recall catching eels off a pier on Cape Cod. I have some good memories of that and have been thinking recently (partly due to all the talk here) that I would enjoy trying it again.

Fishing is always great.....some people find it boring...but obviously people who make a hobby of watching plants grow are not likely to be bored easily.........personally, I'd put on a lure and cast into any nearby body of water...lures are more active than just waiting with a bait...even if the fish aren't suitable for eating...I throw back most of what I catch anyway. Take care, Eric

I love it! Fortunately, it was not what I caught.....although I wish I could have seen it! There have never been any manatee's out here....my fishing spot is just an lnlet, where salt marsh creeks flow into Peconic Bay...but a few years ago we saw a sea turtle (the real thing, not just diamondback terrapins- the subjects of my wife's PhD research) while fishing...my son screamed out to me...the next thing I see is something the size and shape of a rugby ball sticking out of the water a few feet from where I was standing...it let out a gasp and then ducked and moved on. I was very impressed. Take care, Eric (back on LI tonight...unfortunately no fish....)

bluefish1112003ky7sr7.jpg

Now that I know how to send photos...here is an 11 lb bluefish I caught last November in Southold, off the beach on a Krokodile spoon, 10 lb test line....Unfortunately, I haven't brought in anything this season worth photographing...Take care, Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great and yummy lookin catch, Eric!

When I first loaded the post I thought, oooh, he's got marshmallows! :D
I downloaded your photo to my desktop and used the Imageshack photo editor to re-upload it so we could get a little bit smaller photo. Hope you don't mind. Imageshack will automagically downsize your photo if necessary, and seems pretty easy to use. Let me know if you need any info. :)

The fish is still tremendous!

Oh yeah! Its funny...the beach where I caught it is a regular hangout for these old guys....they hang around the parking lot watching the beach, and don't even bother to fish until they see someone catch something...when I caught that one, they waited until I brought it in, then they all came down...My son also caught one that day, maybe a little bigger...I love using light tackle...10 lb test is still strong enough to hold up, and it lets the fish do all the work...as opposed to hauling them in on a party boat. The beach in that area (Southold, LI Sound) is really steep, so even a 6 ft rod can cast out into deep water. My best so far on light tackle has been a 14 lb blue and a 15 lb striper, also on 10 lb test.....I'm hoping to get more of these guys later in Oct and Nov...I just hope I'll be able to go out there...always easier said than done...Take care, Eric

Thanks Heather! I don't mind at all....when I send photos, should I click thumbnails on imageshack? Take care, Eric

I miss saltwater fishing :( I used to fish Great South Bay and an occaisional trip out of Patchouge. When I was little I used to fish for Snappers and Blow Fish. I have a bass pond at home but don't have as much time for fishing as I used to.

Boy am I sore.....my son and I took out a charter (something I haven't done in years....) for striped bass out of Orient Point....first stop was fishing for porgies ...to use as bait. The results are here....it did not take long to reach our limit...I caught 3 of the 4. The smallest was 20 lbs! The biggie I'm holding was 33 lbs....also a ton of bluefish 7-10 lbs...I'm aching all over, but it does feel good! Eric

nicely done, Eric! those stripers really love those porgies, huh?

marco, blackfish season just opened for NY...the north shore bite starts first, then the south shore...they're waiting for you...

NICE , And ya got ME in the mood !!! I'll head out tonite off RI beaches. Tis the season now, for good stripers.