Fertilizer discussion

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gcroz

2yr HCC Awarded Stud
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm always on the lookout for a better fertilizer!

I've mentioned previously I use a Dyna-Gro Grow formula/ Pro-Tekt/ Super Thrive combination that seems to work very well for the Phals, Catts, and others in the greenhouse. It works ok for the paphs and phrags, but I think it could be better.

As for water, I use well water that is very clean, except for radon and uranium (maybe my plants glow in the dark?:evil:).

So, what do others do for fertilizer combinations? I purchased some MSU, but I want to use up the Dyna-Gro before I try that. What do people think about MSU?

i was using MSU w/ R.O. water; with Superthrive and Proteck added plus epson salts. I am trying the K-light diet, even though K is supposed to promote root growth :confused:, so I switched to a low K fertilizer (Rays?) and reduce the Proteck.

I'd go through all the threads on K lite Gcroz.

Otherwise you would be reinventing the wheel with this thread.

The original MSU is passe' after the last years worth of fert discusions.

i was using MSU w/ R.O. water; with Superthrive and Proteck added plus epson salts. I am trying the K-light diet, even though K is supposed to promote root growth :confused:, so I switched to a low K fertilizer (Rays?) and reduce the Proteck.

Proteck is defeating the purpose of low K Eric.

I wouldn't mind adding a source of silicates but I'd probably prefer to use plain old sodium silicate (as for concrete sealer) rather than potassium silicate of Protect.

Yes K can help with root growth, but K-lite still has plenty of K to handle that job. Just about everything is toxic at high enough concentrations. Even water is toxic at high enough concentrations. So we need to get away from the idea that "if a little helps some, a lot will help even more".

Wow, read the K-lite info and feel like I need to go back to school for a refresher course! Seems promising, but will need to do a test first in my greenhouse to see for myself. Anyone use it with Aussie Gold for medium?

All sorts of people use all sorts of fert. (Miracle grow, Phostrogen, Magamp, Hydroponic formulations, Osmocote, Macrocote, bonemeal, blood&bone, fish, blah, blah, and have success with all of them. The important thing is to not use too much/often and get the balance between nutrients right. So you need to know what it SHOULD be doing and what its REALLY doing.

You know at first I was skeptical about the K-Lite discussions. My favorite USDA plant physiologist at first dismissed it in our private discussions. Potassium is such a mobile ion, very soluble, at first glance one wouldn't think you could over do K, it would flush away with the next watering. Then my USDA plant physiologist did some digging. Guess what, the K-lite idea has validity. It may still need formal testing, but the concept is sound. Plants really only need roughly 2% K if the Nitrogen is at about 12%. Excess Potassium (K) can block uptake of Calcium and Magnesium. If one doesn't compensate by adding excess Ca and Mg in some way, you can end up with a deficiency of these ions.

Now I got to figure out what to do with 2 bags, 25 lbs each of MSU Orchid Special before I buy my first bag of K-Lite.

Basically, over my 30+ years of orchid growing, the old fertilizers were problematic, often had problems from imbalances, the best of the old formulas was Mira-Acid. Then the Peter's Professional series and Dyna-Gro came out, and I saw visible improvements in my plants as soon as I made the switch. Then I went to MSU and there was a dramatic improvement in my orchids. I was sold. MSU was the end all as far as I was concerned. But while everything is better than before, I still don't have the bloom quantity I want.

So enter K-Lite. The theory sounds great, and I believe I will start a trial with it this summer. Before opening my next bag of MSU Orchid Special. But what to do with 50 lbs of the old stuff?

To be honest, the MSU Orchid Special formulations are VERY GOOD formulations, a vast improvement over a 10-10-10 fertilizer. BUT, it does look like the K-Lite formula will prove to be even BETTER.

Now I got to figure out what to do with 2 bags, 25 lbs each of MSU Orchid Special before I buy my first bag of K-Lite.

Leo

Before Bill Argo actually formulated the first batch of Klite, I had a work around that "diluted" MSU with calcium nitrate and epsom salts. I did this for about 6 or so months before getting my first batch of the official stuff.

Before K lite I was using 1/8tsp (per gal) MSU for pure water, 1/8 tsp of CaNitrate and 1/4 tsp of Epsom salt.

If I remember that fed N at roughly 50ppm. It took K down to about 3% but Ca and Mg were elevated relative to K.

I think several ST members are in the same boat as you with lots of regular MSU left and doing the above.

I have about 25 lbs. or so of Jack's Pro w/ca mag and I'm
going to use it in my garden and on my roses. After about
two months or so of K-Lite, my plants are beginning to show significant improvement in growth, number of blooms and better looking leaves. I'm very pleased with it so far.

Well either Rick or Leo or both of you should write an article for 'Orchids'. I floated the idea to the publications committee, but at that time the K-Lite thread was still developing and there was a lot of back and forth going on. Since you both, either together or separately, have the science to back your opinions I'm sure the general public would want it concisely spelled out without having to wade through the thread. Let either me or Greg Allikas know.

Well either Rick or Leo or both of you should write an article for 'Orchids'. I floated the idea to the publications committee, but at that time the K-Lite thread was still developing and there was a lot of back and forth going on. Since you both, either together or separately, have the science to back your opinions I'm sure the general public would want it concisely spelled out without having to wade through the thread. Let either me or Greg Allikas know.

I have an article about 3/4 completed. Actually the draft was complete, but lots of comments came back from the initial reviewers, so I want to take some more time with it. Maybe I'll push to get it done in June.

I have an article about 3/4 completed. Actually the draft was complete, but lots of comments came back from the initial reviewers, so I want to take some more time with it. Maybe I'll push to get it done in June.

I love you madly. Thank you! Thank you!

Rick
I am glad you are working on the article, you are the one who solidified the idea, and Ray of course, and Bill Argo for being willing to make it. I am looking forward to seeing the article.
Leo

Sorry to bring up an old thread but...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but...

Where can I find the article? Was it ever completed? If not, I'd still love to read just the draft of it.

Back