Fantastic new Paph!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone

Reaction score
Here is the only picture of a new paph species discovered in Sumatra. The French man who discovered it was hunting for giant beetles in a very remote area when he found it. He was apparently attacted by a tiger just after he managed to get a photo sent away and was found half eaten by searchers. Many of the rescue crew susequently fell ill with some kind of unidentified jungle rot which consumed large areas of their faces! The plant has never been seen again but a Japanese collector has offered the locals $10,000 to find it. Most have refused because they believe the black orchid is cursed and should not be touched.

Interesting story, though it sounds so fantastic that it's tough to actually believe.

The plant: Its foliage reminds of venustum, would definitely be a huge hit in "captivity" assuming we ever find it. Hopefully we don't collect it to extinction.

There was an orchid very similar to that one spotted growing on the lower section of the Brooklyn Bridge, I tried to buy it, but someone beat me to it...

Too bad, no black paphs... You had me believing your story for awhile, but then I read about the jungle rot and saw the picture.

Latest posts

Back