Experiment with vittatum culture

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...after 6 months. I 'd like to share my experiment with you because plants are very rare, very expensive and said to be hard stuff. I got one from Orchidweb and another one from Orchid Innusa. Price was cca. 400 USD / plant. I got a culutre sheet , too. It advised me to keep them always wet, water them only from bottom, never from top with low cc water and grow them in mix of sphagnum, perlite and charcoal and never use bark! I kept them this way and both of them begun to rot from lower leaves within few days. I got a little kind of brain stroke... I removed rotted leaves and repotted plant into mix of bark, akadama and kanuma ( 1/1/1) and I kept them drier, never left water around pots ( original advice was to stand them into 1-2 cm high water). Rotting stopped.
One from Orchidweb is growing very well, first pic is from offered plant, second is today:

Plant from Sam is still alive, almost died but survived and has a new nice growth, too:

Nice! Thank you for the advise the other day. Mine started to grow rather quickly (for an import), so I'm a bit relieved. I'm still using bottom water, so I should watch it carefully. How much light are you giving? Lots of light as descried in some info?

Light is similar to bifoliate cattleyas, a little less, than my unifoliate catts get. My experience that these plants are very easy to rot and they need less water than in nature ( it is maybe because they are living in open areas where the surface of the ground becomes dry very quickly.)

Oh man, you saved your plants, your nerves and your money. Didn't know that these are so expensive since I am not into Phrag.

Latest posts

Back