Events coming soon.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
Besides orders for Tamiami or Redlands, is anyone going to these events.
If so, we should plan to meet and get more buying power.

North Jersey Orchid Society show at Rutgers U?
https://njorchids.org/

Woodstream Orchids Open House and/or Paph Forum in January?
http://www.woodstreamorchids.com/

Deep Cut OS show in February?
https://sites.google.com/site/deepcutorchids/Home/events/show

Orchidphiles du Montreal in March?
http://orchidophilesmontreal.ca/Copied-OrchidExpo-2016.php

Also members should plan on meeting to go to Chicagoland, etc.

One of the best things about being in your neck of the woods... lots of orchid shows relatively close.
Have fun!!

I'd like a bit more info. about Tamiami show such as
lodging in walking distance, good restaurants, etc. Any
information will be welcome. I'm in the mood to go
someplace WARM.

I'd like a bit more info. about Tamiami show such as
lodging in walking distance, good restaurants, etc. Any
information will be welcome. I'm in the mood to go
someplace WARM.

Here is the link for Tamiami show. My friend, Bart Motes, Dr. Martin Motes' son is putting it together. He is very responsive on any questions you might have. Btw, I'm flying from Oregon next week.

http://tamiamiorchidfestival.com

Eric,

We'd love to have as many ST'ers as possible attend our Chicagoland Orchid Festival scheduled for September 22-24, 2017. We normally have buses coming in from Minneapolis, St. Louis, Lansing, etc. and a lot of folks who ride-share. Not sure if you can convince Uber to drive to Chicago from NYC, but it's worth a try. :poke:

I've looked at the website, but can't really find the specific
info. I need. The site mentions a motel? I assume that is
five minutes from the show, but five minutes driving or
walking? I don't want to rent a car and I don't want to
be stuck out in the middle of nowhere as I did attending
the POE in SF trying to get a cab to fetch me back to
my hotel.

Hi Angela,

Unfortunately, the two Chicagoland Orchidfest 2017 locations (Orchids By Hausermann and Natt's Orchids) are 27 miles apart, so renting a car is going to be a necessity if you plan to visit both. Each will have a number of interesting guest growers, so if you only do one you'll miss a lot. I've attached a barely readable (sorry) map showing the two locations and the motels recommended. (This map is also available on the Chicagoland Orchidfest website). Both are Marriott-Fairfield Inns and the one closest to Hausermann's is still 2.9 miles from the greenhouse. There are closer motels to Hausermann's, but I wouldn't recommend any of them. Hope your schedule allows you to come!

Last edited:
Tom, I was more curious about the show in Miami...it's
warm there now and it's definitely not here. I have friends
who live in Chicago who might put up with me. They
attend every year.

Hi Angela,

Unfortunately, the two Chicagoland Orchidfest 2017 locations (Orchids By Hausermann and Natt's Orchids) are 27 miles apart, so renting a car is going to be a necessity if you plan to visit both. Each will have a number of interesting guest growers, so if you only do one you'll miss a lot. I've attached a barely readable (sorry) map showing the two locations and the motels recommended. (This map is also available on the Chicagoland Orchidfest website). Both are Marriott-Fairfield Inns and the one closest to Hausermann's is still 2.9 miles from the greenhouse. There are closer motels to Hausermann's, but I wouldn't recommend any of them. Hope your schedule allows you to come!

Tom - Thanks. Fiancee and I are seeing if we can plan a trip to Chicago around fall. This is very helpful.

Well, since I got a half day today i was able to hustle up to NY Penn station, take NJ transit train to New Brunswick, and the shuttle bus to 1 block from the show.
I ran into Mr. Happypaphy leaving as I arrived! Saw BobinAlbany later, working for a vendor. Picked up my big order from Kelly's Korner Orchid Supplies, and got some nice size paph hybrids from Ten Shin, (Matt is in Miami), a couple of Phals, one a gift for a co-worker and the other a great priced artshade 'Pixie Green' from Black Meadow Orchids. I also got a Dendrochilum formosanum from Andy's, a Phrag Geiglestein from Piping Rock, and a few other goodies. Luckily an attendee there works at another government agency here at my worksite so he will bring the large bag of Orchiata to my office. I got some nice photos but, as you know, I can't share them. :(

You, too. Got my plants via the Woodstream Open house last night. A bunch of good Phrags, Thanks. That's 2/2 so far of 5, batting a thousand!

Ah good, you got your Geilgle that you wanted. This being
without photo ability sucks, doesn't it???? I find myself having photo envy. Thanks for the full trip Eric. I'm so
glad all attending enjoyed themselves...and just a tiny bit
jealous too.

Back