Eric Young X S. Apprentice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
First time to bloom a besseae hybrid! Although it is a grandparent.
PEricYoungXSApprentice1-1.jpg

flower with plant
PEricYoungXSApprentice1-2.jpg

So that's what Phrag. After-Glo looks like. I think I'd call it a longifolium hybrid rather than a besseae hybrid, since longifolium is more dominant, although both are correct.

So that's what Phrag. After-Glo looks like. I think I'd call it a longifolium hybrid rather than a besseae hybrid, since longifolium is more dominant, although both are correct.

I'm wondering if they've switched beer for drinking water in Canada!? :poke:
Yay besseae hybrids!

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing Eric. But seriuosly, it is impossible the grow besseaes under normal circumstances here in Houston. Next to impossible to bloom primary hybrids of besseaes. So I'm happy with this 2nd Gen BESSEAE HYBRID!:drool: (even though it has more longi in it)

Not yet...

I think that flower shows the influence of both parents equally. Its great! Thanks for posting.:clap:

I used to have a bunch of After-Glo, they will get very orange-red if you can cool them into the low 60's or upper 50's while in bud. The great thing is that being half longifolium they will tolerate night temps above 70F for months at a time. (Houston weather) Once they get some size a flower stem will give you 25 or more flowers, one or two at a time over a year or so. A lot of flowers for the effort. A favorite hybrid - I wish I had some of the ones I sold back.

Yay besseae hybrids!

I knew I'd get a reaction from this! :D I'm not a drinker, but good try.

I tend to look at the most obvious feature of the plant and flower, to determine what kind of hybrid it is. From this picture, the most obvious feature of the flower is that it resembles longifolium, as well as sargentianum. If you want to say it's a besseae hybrid, then you must agree that it is equally a sargentianum hybrid too. besseae gets way too much credit, as far as I'm concerned. Give some other species a chance!

Latest posts

Back