Epigeneium lyonii/treacherianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioboy

hehehe...
Reaction score
Penang, Malaysia..d home of fabulous paphs.
A local species from Sabah. A Dendrobium relative, this has small semi-compressed pseudobulbs with a pair of thick leathery leaves arranged on a creeping rhizome. Requires bright light. I only had this for several months, didn't expect spikes to suddenly pop up. Must be triggered by temperature changes. They bloom from the top of mature pseudobulbs.

10733488_731643910206161_674621027_n_zpsd970e8a4.jpg

10723657_731643906872828_1306848263_n_zps941c1ba4.jpg

Awesome! I've killed a few of these, definitely not the easiest in my conditions. How moist do you keep yours?

Name has been changed back to Dendrobium in the Kew database, by the way, along with every other ex-Epigeneium.

I love the starry shape. Sometimes I think the orchid world is a little too obsessed with big, round, full flowers. Give me stars, spiders, and ribbons any day.

A dendrobium relative that loves high light conditions, you say? Well, that's pretty much all I need to hear to know that it won't like my growing conditions, so I'll admire it from afar.

Is this guy/gal fragrant? How do you grow it?

I have not had the chance to sniff it, as the plant is back in my hometown. Its in a plastic pot, hanging. It is potted in lava rock and charcoal with a thin top-dress of sphagnum moss. My growing area is exposed to sun and rain, watered daily if it does not rain.

Strongly fragrant! The fragrance is one of the most striking features of this beautiful orchid. I was recently kindly given a plant by Michael and Ben Ooi. A gift I will hopefully have the good fortune treasure and enjoy for years to come :)

Latest posts

Back